[FT] St Mirren 0 - 2 Rangers (Roofe 27; Morelos 33)

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

15:00 kick-off? Is that right?

Thanks for reminding me.

I was organising the day thinking it an evening KO !!

______

I posted this earlier this morning, but given this is now the ra offiiiiiiicial matchday thread, it's better here.

As far as SG&Co are concerned they'll have to weigh-up the players available, the loading and current physical state of each, the requirements for the two games in a spell of 4 days and the subsequent week free from a game.

The main question or risk is in the midfield where if we are to be without Arfield and Jack, then we can do without an injury tonight but it looks like we'll need to start the same three in both games. The focus being on if Steve Davis will be able to maintain a physical level to be able to play at someone near his best come Saturday. He is already coming off three games in 8 days where he completed 90, 77 and 90 minutes.

The last time Davis started on the bench was at Paisley in the League Cup. Zungu is the other main option and he started that game.

Unless carrying some slight knock/niggle, I'd imagine Davis will start tonight and SG will hope to be able to get him off the park at some pint in the second half.

Whilst on the midfield, I have always liked the look of the young lad Dickson, from that Alkass Cup win to his debut at Falkirk recently. All around Europe we are seeing very young players coming through quickly at big clubs. If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Another question arises about Alfredo Morelos and for tonight, it's a positive one. He played his best half hour for months against Hibs.

Does Roofe get offloaded, does he get shifted out wide or does Morelos start on the bench ?

My guess is Morelos for Hagi will be the only change from Saturday.

Edited by buster.

Same team for me. Hagi and Aribo are improving with every game and we need them firing on all cylinders for these type of games. 

My one slight reservation would be Kent. For me he has to simplify his play and be more effective with his final ball. Hopefully a good showing today to get him in tune for the Tims. He seems to do well against them...

Remember in decades past, where games like this didn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things?  Now, every game is huge, mainly due to the gap between the two big clubs and the rest.

I would play Morelos, Roofe and Hagi in a front three, with Davis, Kamara and Aribo in midfield.  I doubt Gerrard will drop Kent though.

Mon The Rangers!  ??

27 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Remember in decades past, where games like this didn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things?  Now, every game is huge, mainly due to the gap between the two big clubs and the rest.

I would play Morelos, Roofe and Hagi in a front three, with Davis, Kamara and Aribo in midfield.  I doubt Gerrard will drop Kent though.

Mon The Rangers!  ??

Morelos simply cannot be counted on at the moment for a game of this size. That includes goalscoring and discipline 

12 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Morelos simply cannot be counted on at the moment for a game of this size. That includes goalscoring and discipline 

His 30 minutes at the w/e point to someone who has regained sharpness that given the chance may mean goals.