22 hours ago, forlanssister said:

Posting on a privately owned site isn't a right it's a privilege. Twitter banning Trump and withdrawing that privilege isn't an act of censorship or even social consciousness it's because he has outlived his usefulness to twitter inc, simples.

There are many different things you can take or ways to read into this ban, beyond simply breaking rules and being banned.

An extraordinary event in Washington and you can choose to look at it in isolation.

In that case, Trump lost an election, doesn't fully accept it, refuses to go quietly and encourages base to act.

Base do what they did and it provided images that you'd usually see in Central Africa. It shocked the USA and the world.

You can also look at why things have reached this point.

Why Trump's base are politically active to the point of being up for what they did.

To cut to the chase 

They really want what they were promised 4 years ago (Drain the Swamp)

Democray isn't working for them and doesn't represent them as per what it says on tin.

They still believe in Trump and can't see that he had no intention of draining swamp.

They prefer to believe that he wasn't allowed to, but here is the thing, in the case that he does try they'd be right. However he had no real intention to do so. Like Obama with Change, it was an election slogan, no more.

US Democracy is broken because the two parties are in bed with broadly the same interests who have bought and paid for it.

The general narrative that will be peddled is from a simplistic view formed from the isolated event and not the deeper more fundamental reasons.

Locking up the rioters of last week won't solve things, nor will time, as Trump leaves Office. The underlying issues will return and I think the real economic hardship coming down the road is what will trigger them. As Forlan said, the fire has been lit and is still burning. I'dd add, the sparks had been increasing for many years now.

That doesn't mean they will be able to revolt successfully. It is far more likely that a militaristic and dystopian reallity will dominate. The infrastructure for such counter measures is increasing. After the Great Depression in the 30's, very generally, the elites had to give back to the masses. Now, the elites feel as though technology and various circumstances allow them to keep taking.

US Democracy in it's current corrupted state is under attack and the people on both sides of political divides have good reason to be unhappy with it.

If they could see the bigger picture and if not come together, at least direct their cumulative protests towards the only place that will significantly change their lot.

For the Left, forget political correctness and look at the political system.

For the Right, forget Trumptown like politics and look at the political system.

Paragraphs 1 - 4 pretty much spot on.

The remainder, perhaps you are right. Time will tell. I don’t really see revolution, either left or right. I see a lot of people acting out their fantasies, either left or right, and then going home again until the next rôle play drama.

The looming economic fallout from Covid-19 is the most likely thing to trigger any kind of revolution.  I still can't see it though.

It's more likely that people will feel even less connected to politics.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

In that case, Trump lost an election, doesn't fully accept it, refuses to go quietly and encourages base to act.

Base do what they did and it provided images that you'd usually see in Central Africa. It shocked the USA and the world.

What do you mean by refuses to go quietly?  I recently read reports that he has acknowledged power will transfer and will not even attend the inauguration.

What did Trump say to encourage his base to do anything other than protest?

I've looked and I can't see anything yet.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

US Democracy is broken because the two parties are in bed with broadly the same interests who have bought and paid for it.

You are going to have to explain this one.

Who are the interests that you are referring to?

Be specific.  Provide evidence.

Nothing perpetuates the growth of authoritarianism like continuing to spout meaningless platitudes about changing the political system. These echoes of 20th century politics achieve nothing, except perhaps the satisfaction of personal indulgence and a veneer of pseudo-wisdom. Criticising Trump (and Biden) is just pantomime, a fiction about heroes and villains, neither of whom are any more in control of our direction of travel than I am. No amount of criticism will change anything if it's aimed in the wrong direction. I suspect there are clues somewhere in the current wave of censorship in social media, not just censoring individuals but now denying the participation of entire social media platforms.

There's much talk of the death of democracy, usually from those who can't or won't do anything about it and who will just as quickly criticise anyone who does. There's incessant chatter about the evils of American politics but little if any acknowledgement of Americans and others who are doing more than just describing the problem and are busy trying to describe the solutions. I think if there's to be any challenge to the tyrants of silicon valley it won't come from politicians or idealogical critics of America. It will probably come from within American society itself and show the strength, not the weakness, of American culture.

I'm not a frequent user myself (honest officer) but I'm intrigued by the response of platforms like Parler and Gab to being shouldered out of the social media system by the giants of silicon valley. It remains to be seen how successful they'll be but if there's hope anywhere it's probably in those who are prepared to try. It might just be that the same entrepreneurial spirit that created silicon valley will yet be it's downfall. If not then we really are fucked.

Gab’s Statement on Apple and Google’s Tyranny

https://news.gab.com/2021/01/09/gabs-statement-on-apple-and-googles-tyranny/