20 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

'tis very simple. Big business interests. Corporations. Mega rich individuals who pay the piper. Not workers' organisations.

Your simplicity is commendable.

I did ask for some specific details.

Don't forget that I'm asking about who it is that has bought both sides.

35 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm not a frequent user myself (honest officer) but I'm intrigued by the response of platforms like Parler and Gab to being shouldered out of the social media system by the giants of silicon valley. It remains to be seen how successful they'll be but if there's hope anywhere it's probably in those who are prepared to try. It might just be that the same entrepreneurial spirit that created silicon valley will yet be it's downfall. If not then we really are fucked.

Apps like Parler are going to fight a very difficult battle.  Distribution platforms on Apple and Android can sideline them.  You can still find ways to install apps on Android devices but I'm not so sure about Apple.  It's more difficult than just looking something up on Play and people will mainly give up.  Amazon provide the infrastructure that many web apps are built on.  Amazon will stop providing services to Parler soon.  Amazon dominates this space for a reason.  You could find an alternative but then you will compromise on quality and reliability.  Many of Amazon's competitors will follow the market leader.  If you care to look into other providers of web/software development infrastructure you will find political activism determining who can use these services.  You will also find pressure not to employ people previously involved with outlier companies.

Perhaps companies should be permitted to act in this way.  Regardless of that debate what follows is a segregated internet with one side impoverished in comparison to the other.  I should add that this might not be the best way to manage debate outside of the mainstream.  Conspiracy theorists will face little or no debate in a segregated internet.  This might amplify the filter bubble problem rather than control it.

Edited by ranger_syntax