Impeachment won't protect anyone from anything. Nor will it build any bridges in US society or mend divisions. All it will do is make a martyr out of Trump and alienate those who have voted for him. It serves only to make those pursuing it look vindictive and petty and it will change nothing. In a year from now there will be no Trump and life in the us will be just as bitterly divided as it is today.

Divided and run by spiteful posturing blowhards, it's hard to think of a better analogue for Sturgeon's Scotland.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

I think that people might give pause to ponder what constitutes the crime of "Sedition" and that of "Insurrection" under US Federal Law.

I thought it was everyone for themselves after a summer of rioting. 

Insurrection = a violent uprising against an authority or government. Maybe it was the wrong kind of reason or so called rioters? 

26 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I thought it was everyone for themselves after a summer of rioting. 

Insurrection = a violent uprising against an authority or government. Maybe it was the wrong kind of reason or so called rioters? 

No. The point is that "sedition" and "insurrection" are crimes under US Federal Law, and will be defined under that law. 

What your dictionary says is, to a large extent, irrelevant. You may not wish to call it sedition or insurrection, but it may well be under Statute, and that is what will count. 

I have a feeling that considerably more about the events will emerge from  Federal investigations, the nature and extent of the charges, and the subsequent trials.

In addition, the Biden administration, and Democrat controlled Congress, may wish to commission an Inquiry into the events, after the crimnal justice process is completed. 

6 hours ago, Bluedell said:

While he has a point, there's a difference between a "normal" riot and one that tries to overthrow the government,

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Maybe a bad choice of words but the point still stands.

Your point must be that there is a difference between the B.L.M. riots and a mob interfering with the democratic process.

If so then that's undoubtedly true.

Either way I don't think you should pretend that the screeching u-turn is about anything other than tribal partisanship.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

No. The point is that "sedition" and "insurrection" are crimes under US Federal Law, and will be defined under that law. 

What your dictionary says is, to a large extent, irrelevant. You may not wish to call it sedition or insurrection, but it may well be under Statute, and that is what will count. 

I have a feeling that considerably more about the events will emerge from  Federal investigations, the nature and extent of the charges, and the subsequent trials.

In addition, the Biden administration, and Democrat controlled Congress, may wish to commission an Inquiry into the events, after the crimnal justice process is completed. 

I was not challenging what the charges might be, only that the nature and extent of each offence will need to be proved and in many cases may be found wanting as any competent defence lawyer will trash any attempt to link this to anything like a coup and see it for the opportunist act it was. 

The Democrat controlled Congress can look back all it likes as it will continue to make the same mistakes it made over the last 4 years in opposition, focusing on the same procedural and political score settling instead of actually taking the country forward and attempting to heal the divisions which are very apparent within the country.