[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 33, 50)

22 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Is it a rivalry? Can a rivalry be one way? Aberdeen exist purely to hate us whereas they don't even register on Rangers radar IMO

It's their biggest rivalry although for banter value, it'd be good to see Cove Rangers put them out of a Cup.

I think it's fairly obvious that they do more than register as a rival to us and have done for decades, including the 80's prior to the Simpson tackle.

--------------------

Aberdeen have seemed to be very mediocre in the League this season but other than their 2 defeats to us, they have only lost ONE game out of the other 18. Outwith the OF, McInnes has again got them to a level that is significantly better than the rest, with Hibs the only other team in remotely the same postcode. Very consistent but in a very grey tone.

In other words, today is a significant hurdle to get over. More especially with the players we have missing.

Last week was a pivotal win. 

Today is about starting the downhill side the right way, in one of our most difficult league fixtures. 

--------------------

By my calculations...

- Morelos is one booking away from a suspension. If booked today, he would miss the Hibs (A) game.

Could be significant if Roofe isn't back by then.

- Re. Hibs (A) Hibs have 3 players one booking away from suspension. Their best piayer at Ibrox the other week, Newell and their 2 recent Scottiish caps, Hanlon and McGinn. If booked against Celtic, they´ll miss game against us. Had their game not been moved to Monday, I reckon they may have missed a different game (if booked v Celtic).

- Rangers have scored the same amount of League goals as Aberdeen and Hibs combined (57).

- Aberdeen have conceded the same amout of league goals to us in 2 games, as we have to all teams in 22.

Edited by buster.

6 minutes ago, compo said:

Forget bad tackles and bad feelings just get out on the park and get the three points :rfc: 

I hope we lose the habit of giving the opposition a clear and early site of our goal.

It's happened in the last few games and we won't keep getting away with it.

I reckon Aberdeen will start out of the traps by pressing us higher up the pitch than usual and look to make hay from what they hope is another sluggish start by us.

• Rousseau changed the title to [Pre-match] Aberdeen v Rangers
  • Rousseau changed the title to [Pre-Match] Aberdeen v Rangers
5 minutes ago, buster. said:

I hope we lose the habit of giving the opposition a clear and early site of our goal.

It's happened in the last few games and we won't keep getting away with it.

I reckon Aberdeen will start out of the traps by pressing us higher up the pitch than usual and look to make hay from what they hope is another sluggish start by us.

Aberdeen's tactics will be to niggle from the start a few heavy tackles on Morelos the odd accidental elbow, the know how to rub us up we need cool heads and stick to our game 

Just now, compo said:

Aberdeen's tactics will be to niggle from the start a few heavy tackles on Morelos the odd accidental elbow, the know how to rub us up we need cool heads and stick to our game 

That is standard and a given.

Do they play with full backs or wing backs ?

Kent out? Fine, let Jordan Jones loose! 

You wonder what approach SG is going to take, the physical or the technical one. In either case, the questions marks are only whether Zungu`s in from the start and whether it will be Itten/Defoe up front with Hagi, Aribo, or Morelos. He might throw in Barker instead of Kent, or Stewart on the right. But I imagine something like ...

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Balogun - Barisic

Davis - Kamara

Hagi - Aribo - Morelos

Itten

... or perhaps Itten on the right and Defoe/Morelos through the middle.

On a sidenote, it is these rough and tumble games that I thought we brought Jones, Stewart, Barker and Zungu in, resting people whose ankles, knees et al are needed for the "more important games". Not least when we have some sort of advantage, be it table- or game-wise.

On another sidenote, it is almost comical that as soon as the Scum was starting to win games again and pressure was on both Aberdeen and Hibs to match that, they stumbled and fell, thwarting their own chances on 2nd place. Hibs loosing two home games against almighty Livingston and Ross County, Aberdeen drawing with the Arabs

Edited by der Berliner