Best Rangers 'Keeper

Best Rangers Keeper  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Best Rangers keeper

• Goram
    • Klos
    • McGregor
    • Woods

Not to be considered, but he warrants a wee mention because he is the forgotten member of the ECWC'72 squad. A former Dustbin man and Policeman from Germany, Gerry Neef took over from Norrie Martin/Erik Sorensen in 1968 and played approx' 50 games for Rangers before Peter McCloy arrived. He was a brave Keeper, always challenging opposing forwards. I attended a Glasgow Cup game against Queens Park and he was injured, cracked ribs. Colin Stein took over in goals.

Gerhardt Neef, one of the continentals that livened up Ibrox life in the late sixties. There was King Kai and Swedish World Cup semi-finalist, Orjan Persson; I'm sure there was another, cannot remember?

7 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Gerhardt Neef, one of the continentals that livened up Ibrox life in the late sixties. There was King Kai and Swedish World Cup semi-finalist, Orjan Persson; I'm sure there was another, cannot remember

Another Sorensen, midfielder.

Beck? Is Iceland continental? 

Agree with most of the postings. We truly have been blessed with some great keepers. I love all 4 of these guys but due to the huge impact he and the other English signings made in the Souness revolution I'm going with Woods. He also held the British record for longest period without conceding a goal I seem to remember.

3 hours ago, compo said:

I go for Klos a consummate professional with no off field antics 

Apart from his last season when he totally downed tools and looked more like Theo Snelders.

I loved Der Goalie as well, a top quality keeper for almost all of his time with us, but he doesnt come to close to Goram or McGregor for me.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

Another Sorensen, midfielder.

Beck? Is Iceland continental? 

Tottie Beck, that's the guy.

Thank you, I attended the 1966 Scottish Cup final replay and as I was an 8 year old schoolboy, I was in the schoolboy Enclosure. However, a crush saw my old man and I moved into the Main Stand. There were a number of not stripped Rangers players in the row behind and I got their autographs, including Por(pronounced Thor) Beck.

How did he receive the nickname, 'Tottie"?

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

He really wouldn't have been.

The main way it's moved on is that keepers have to use their feet a lot more and Goram was far better with the ball than McGregor.

How many current EPL keepers are better than Peter Schmeichel?

That's an easy one -  absolutely none of them are even close.

There's clearly a disconnect between best keeper and favourite keeper because, while there are many favourite keepers (mine is Chris Woods) there is only one best keeper and of course that is Andy Goram. Frankly, it's not even close.