18 members have voted

1. 1. Best Rangers keeper

• Goram
    • Klos
    • McGregor
    • Woods

4 hours ago, Bluedell said:

He really wouldn't have been.

The main way it's moved on is that keepers have to use their feet a lot more and Goram was far better with the ball than McGregor.

How many current EPL keepers are better than Peter Schmeichel?

most of them IMHO including his son. Most of it is just physical and training level stuff though in fairness. you are certainly right about Goram and the ball at his feet he would have been devastating today with that. 

He would though be lucky to be playing with his physical conditioning. 

Perhaps mcgregor would have been overweight in the 90s and goram super athletic these days in fairness. Always hard to compare. 

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Apart from his last season when he totally downed tools and looked more like Theo Snelders.

I loved Der Goalie as well, a top quality keeper for almost all of his time with us, but he doesnt come to close to Goram or McGregor for me.

Agree about Der Goalie. We had a world cup winner in Charbonnier but was replaced instantly.

Im surprised about the lack of support (probably wrong words) for McGregor though. Two decades! Im taking Greegs right now. Goram was outstanding but I think McGregor has surpassed him.  

IF, IMHO, there would be an argument, it would be between Goram and Klos. And IMHO, Klos, also because of his Borussia Dortmund days (and the fact that he paid up the remainder of his contract there to join us, IIRC), would shade it. In general, I seriously dislike these "best ever" stuff, not least because McGregor is fresh in people`s minds, but some heroics of Goram and Klos and some others have been consigned to memory loss. Here`s but one reminder of Klos

Goram`s short-range stops were sensational too ...

Edited by der Berliner

Watching that video of Andy Goram reminded me of that freezing midweek game at Pittodrie when I watched Aberdeen absolutely hammer us for 90 minutes and the Goalie made amazing save after amazing save. The best goalkeeping display I have ever seen. I think it was Hately who scored a breakaway goal to win the game. Great joy.

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

Watching that video of Andy Goram reminded me of that freezing midweek game at Pittodrie when I watched Aberdeen absolutely hammer us for 90 minutes and the Goalie made amazing save after amazing save. The best goalkeeping display I have ever seen. I think it was Hately who scored a breakaway goal to win the game. Great joy.

Goram and to a lesser extend Klos were certainly up against better opposition. 

I don't doubt McGregor could handle it, we saw evidence of that last week but he doesn't even in Europe get to show it as much. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Same here, what a display, won the game almost singled handedly (pun intended) as that save from Jess is probably right up there with Banks against Brazil for me.

1 hour ago, onevision said:

Same here, what a display, won the game almost singled handedly (pun intended) as that save from Jess is probably right up there with Banks against Brazil for me.

I got a couple of tickets for the main stand that night and sat quietly among the sheep. When Hately? scored there must have been at least 50 people around us punching the air. There was an attempt to have some of us leave but in the end I think they took a look at the numbers and gave up. A great night.