[FT] Motherwell 1 - 1 Rangers (Itten 72)

22 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I bet you remember when he was pressed into service in the Cup Winners Cup final!

My old man and Grandfather attended the 1967 ECWC Final in Nuremberg. There had been a screaming match on my part, a nine year old Primary schoolboy who had attended Ibrox for the defeats of Glentoran, Borussia Dortmund, Real Zaragoza, and Slavia Sofia. My old man said my Mother had put her foot down reference attending, three days off school was unacceptable.

Anyways, Father told a convincing Roger the Dodger story. The week before the final, Rangers third team played in the Combination League and were due to play Glasgow Corporation Transport at Helenvale Park in the east end. The collection of bus drivers, conductors, mechanics, .... etc faced a team of youths and first team and reserves returning from injury. Apparently, the Rangers manager trapped with Roger and wanted to see him play centre forward. Roger scored five in an 3-8 victory.

Of course, the reckless transfers of Jim Forrest and Alex Willoughby in January after the Berwick debacle, left Rangers short in the striker department. In April, Scot Symon had found a solution at Helenvale. I remember watching the game at home in blurry black and white. I seem to remember the Kaiser marshalled Roger quite comfortably, but in extra time two chances fell to the big Ayrshire man, both skyed over the bar.

Our failure in Nuremberg was laid at Helenvale.