England v Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka has looked, to be kind, ring-rusty. Some of the shots played early - in a Test Match first inninings- were astonishing; astonishingly ill-considered, that is.

England should win this without the necessity of batting twice, unless the weather intervenes, or the pitch degenerates to the unplayable. 

An extraordinary incident involved Root: he played a shot, hit the ball, which hit the ground, rebounded, hit his bat, and was then caught. 

SL appealed; the Umpire turned it down; it went to the 4th Umpire who ruled 'Not Out'. 

It appears that there is actually a Law of Cricket to cover just this eventuality, and the Umpires were correct.

One of the reasons people love the game. 

Edited by Uilleam

44 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Seems the lad Lawrence batted well on debut, but doesn't look like the strongest bowling attack he was facing.

Middle order competition is heating up for England.

Very true but many England debutants have failed against mediocrity.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Catch, I think.

A batsman can only be caught off a ball bowled. I imagine the delivery from the bowler ended when the ball hit the ground. I assume the second strike was unintentional in which case not out is correct. Just as well I wasn’t fourth umpire. It’s taken half a day to work it out.

3 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A batsman can only be caught off a ball bowled. I imagine the delivery from the bowler ended when the ball hit the ground. I assume the second strike was unintentional in which case not out is correct. Just as well I wasn’t fourth umpire. It’s taken half a day to work it out.

"...a duffed reverse-sweep saw the ball plop into the hands of short leg off the glove but the appeals turned down.

Sri Lanka’s subsequent review was unsuccessful and the decision by third umpire Lyndon Hannibal seemingly clear to understand: the ball had hit the ground in between its contact with bat and then glove. But this did not stop Arthur slamming a water bottle on to the floor and then remonstrating with the off-field officials..."

That was Mickey Arthur.