Ex-Rangers administrators David Whitehouse and Paul Clark in £21m settlement

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Furthermore he opines that 

"...tax non-compliance at Rangers..."  was

“on a level that I haven’t seen from other football clubs”.

Well, that maybe the case, if you posit your view on the fantasy figures that HMRC claimed to have identified, and which Messrs BDO have pared down very significantly (and a f a I k, continue to do so).

Again, is is not reported if he was challenged on this, or asked to justify the HMRC initial estimates, or even to clarify. 

He's got a point if he's referring to the use of unpaid PAYE and NI (and VAT?) to finance the running of the club for many months.

One has to wonder why HMRC allowed it to go on for so long. Were they allowing Whyte to build a hole that they hoped we'd never get out of?

10 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He's got a point if he's referring to the use of unpaid PAYE and NI (and VAT?) to finance the running of the club for many months.

One has to wonder why HMRC allowed it to go on for so long. Were they allowing Whyte to build a hole that they hoped we'd never get out of?

HMRC were allowing Whyte to build up unpaid tax debt to a level that they could veto a CVA. They could have called an administration much earlier but didn’t. Hopefully we’re now going to see who and why was behind this decision 

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

OK. But is a few months of PAYE and NI, et al. really

“on a level that I haven’t seen from other football clubs”  ?

Or is it more ikely that he referred to Murray's EBT strategy?

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm sure I read that Arsenal were also using EBTs or something similar.  I got the impression HMRC were trying to make an example of Rangers.

They, along with many other football clubs and businesses  used Ebts 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/09/newsstory.sport9

Edited by CammyF

I really don't know why we're skirting around this. The decisions taken at HMRC were taken by people, not machines, individuals with likes and dislikes, personal agendas and inherent bias. Every single important decision taken by HMRC in this affair was a value judgement and could just as easily have been completely different. Nothing that HMRC did was inevitable. There were choices and the decisions taken were exercised by individual people. No one will ever persuade me that a significant part of those decisions wasn't a visceral hatred of Rangers or what it was perceived Rangers stood for. 

It was a stitch-up and officials at HMRC were at the heart of it. 

6 hours ago, Uilleam said:

“I also highlighted the risk of HMRC being perceived to be seen as inconsistent as historically it had taken more forceful action in respect of other Scottish football clubs.”

Baird said this, not Uilleam.

Many years ago before Baird went to play school, the Inland Revenue dealt mercilessly with some Highland League clubs for unpaid PAYE on players’ wages. Hapless rustic Club Treasurers had been assuming contributions would be coming off the part-time players’ wages from their main employers.

Baird was probably putting Whyte and Murray on the same scale.

48 minutes ago, Bill said:

I really don't know why we're skirting around this. The decisions taken at HMRC were taken by people, not machines, individuals with likes and dislikes, personal agendas and inherent bias. Every single important decision taken by HMRC in this affair was a value judgement and could just as easily have been completely different. Nothing that HMRC did was inevitable. There were choices and the decisions taken were exercised by individual people. No one will ever persuade me that a significant part of those decisions wasn't a visceral hatred of Rangers or what it was perceived Rangers stood for. 

It was a stitch-up and officials at HMRC were at the heart of it. 

Of course it was a stitch up. With  political influence too I might add

Edited by RANGERRAB

4 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Of course it was a stitch up. With  political influence too I might add

HMRC is an entirely political organisation. It acts for and on behalf of politicians. It has no independent and wholly objective identity. To say HMRC acted with political influence is like saying a bird flew with the aid of feathers.

19 hours ago, Uilleam said:

OK. But is a few months of PAYE and NI, et al. really

“on a level that I haven’t seen from other football clubs”  ?

Or is it more ikely that he referred to Murray's EBT strategy?

Was it not 8 or 9 months? That's fairly sizeable.

However it could be the EBTs he was referring to but as the case was still going through the courts at that point, and whether tax was actually due had still to be finally established, his use of "non-compliance" doesn't stack up for me, although he could be using that word to put a spin on it.