The future of our midfield

We have 6 players that regularly feature in our midfield.  

• Davis with Zungu as an alternative
  • Kamara with Jack as an alternative
  • Aribo with Arfield as an alternative

I think that one of the main challenges we face this summer is dealing with the possible changes in this area.

Davis is having a good season but he has recently turned 36.  If his contract is extended then it could be that he becomes the backup next season rather than the first choice.  Arfield recently turned 32 and has another year on his contract.  I think we can expect another good year from him.  Zungu is here on a loan with an option to buy.  It's difficult to say if the management will extend his contract.  He looks good enough but based on selection I don't think he is trusted by the management yet. Kamara has had a great season and should be moving into the best years of his career.  There will be a good opportunity to cash in on him after the European Championships this summer. Jack has performed well while fit.  He has demonstrated that he is not an average S.P.F.L. player like many have said.  Sadly he has an injury problem that needs to be managed.  It could be that we are only able to depend on him for 30 matches a season now. Aribo has been good at times and has struggled to make an impact at others.  If he improves his consistency then I expect that, like Kamara, he will move on.  I still expect him to be part of our midfield next season.

There are valid questions about the contribution that Davis, Jack, Kamara and Zungu will make next year.  Two, or three, could move on.  One, or two, could be sidelined. If all goes well this season then we also need to consider whether or not to upgrade any of the players to compete at a higher level in Europe.  If we want to compete at a higher level then I think we should look to keep Kamara and get more consistency out of Aribo.

This is one area where we have been blessed with good players , Zungu aside as he hasn't had long enough , however the future planning as players leave , either by transfor retirement will be crucial , especially in a possible C/L season , will be crucial .

Edited by rbr

Depends what formation you go with. Hagi has to be considered as a tip of a diamond and isnt going anywhere. He should actually be playing a larger part.

It will take a massive bid to lure Kamara but Id expect him to be around for seasons to come.

Depends what you are looking for in a midfielder i.e the McCall type who bites ankles or an attacking midfielder with creativity. Im not a fan of this 4-(2-3)-1 formations, there is 3 areas in the outfield - defence, midfield (include wingers), strikers.

But good discussion though.

1 hour ago, Gribz said:

Depends what formation you go with. Hagi has to be considered as a tip of a diamond and isnt going anywhere. He should actually be playing a larger part.

Agreed. Certainly next season I hope he’ll be the main goal designer and occasional finisher.

Age and injuries are becoming a factor for a few of them.  Aribo needs to show more consistency.   Given the chat at the AGM, I'm expecting us to sell Kamara in the Summer.  Zungu, so far, hasn't justified the fee required to sign him permanently. 

A lot will depend on CL qualification.

There's a lot to think about but we have more pressing concerns just now.

The key role, for me, is that of Arfield.

For the most part, the others (Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Zungu - and even a youngster or two) can fill in and rotate into a number of roles (the deeper role and the wider role).

But, Arfield's blend of defensive attributes and that attacking drive is unique to him. I think that's something we need going forward.

(I feel Aribo has the attributes, but is maybe struggling to come to grips with that deeper role - he played better further forward. He's still young, though.)

Zungu has not had a lot of minutes, but he's not shown much. 

I always think he takes a while to get up to speed? He comes on then inevitably gives the ball away or is a bit sluggish against the opponents. 

Maybe unfair, but from what he's shown, we should look elsewhere.