Rangers announce appointment of Light Blues investor onto Ibrox board

THREE Bears investor George Letham has been appointed to the board of The Rangers Football Club Ltd.

Documents lodged with Companies House on Tuesday show that Letham was named as a director on January 15.

TRFC Ltd is wholly owned and operated by the RIFC plc and Letham will now take a seat at the top table alongside Managing Director Stewart Robertson, Ross Wilson, the Sporting Director, James Bisgrove, Andrew Dickson and James Blair.

Letham was one of the 'Three Bears' that invested in Rangers alongside Douglas Park and George Taylor as Dave King, Paul Murray and John Gilligan won control of the club in March 2015.

The 63-year-old currently has a 4.33 per cent stake in RIFC plc and will now have a say in the running of the football board at Ibrox.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19023475.rangers-announce-appointment-light-blues-investor-onto-ibrox-board/?ref=twtrec

29 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

A great appointment, glad he's finally got round to joining the board.

Should be warmly welcomed by all Rangers fans.

If anybody still labours under the illusion that this board are out of touch with the Bears in the street then fret no more.

Any idea why it's the club and not the holding company?

24 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Any idea why it's the club and not the holding company?

That was the first question that came to me too. It might suggest a perceived need for closer control/guidance of TRFC, to tie its progress more closely to the overall funding plan. TRFC board should essentially be made up of people with specific operational skills and if that continues to be the case, you have to wonder if Andrew Dickson has another future planned.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

That was the first question that came to me too. It might suggest a perceived need for closer control/guidance of TRFC, to tie its progress more closely to the overall funding plan. TRFC board should essentially be made up of people with specific operational skills and if that continues to be the case, you have to wonder if Andrew Dickson has another future planned.

I'd thought that it may be that they want a non-exec on the club board, as I don't think any of the rest are, or else he hadn't invested enough to get on the "PLC" board.

10 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd thought that it may be that they want a non-exec on the club board, as I don't think any of the rest are, or else he hadn't invested enough to get on the "PLC" board.

I think its potentially both what yourself and Bill have suggested and/or strengthening the team given the range of strategic projects on the go.  That includes the possibility of Champions League qualification and the step change in funding that this would provide if we can manage it. 

Edited by stewarty

There's no need for a non exec on the football board. It almost certainly points to a division of Andrew Dickson's responsibilities into separate administration and finance portfolios. Either that or Dickson is being replaced altogether, which I doubt.

2 hours ago, forlanssister said:

A great appointment, glad he's finally got round to joining the board.

Should be warmly welcomed by all Rangers fans.

If anybody still labours under the illusion that this board are out of touch with the Bears in the street then fret no more.

Agree, maybe we can speculate that GL is perhaps now in a position to devote more of his time and expertise to Rangers in an operational and strategic capacity? If so can only be a very good thing for the club.