Rangers announce appointment of Light Blues investor onto Ibrox board

2 hours ago, stewarty said:

Its not a requirement, no.  But its possible.  

It will be interesting to see if the club come out and explain the appointment.

I just can't see the point of appointing a non-exec to an operating board. It can't be advisory, you don't appoint a director to advise another director you have already appointed to do a specific job. So it's either oversight on behalf of a senior board that he isn't part of, which wouldn't make a lot of sense, or it's in preparation for some planned transition coming down the line. I'm guessing the latter and that this is happening as part of a structural change to the operating board, with Letham perhaps taking up chairmanship of the TRFC board. Otherwise, the natural place for Letham would be on the RIFC board.

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Any idea why it's the club and not the holding company?

Probably more to do with Scottish football side of the club than the business side although he's more than eminently qualified in that respect.

Perhaps he's reached the stage in his life where he has more time to devote to RFC than was previously the case. I understand he's had previous offers to join the board but declined. Pretty sure he wasn't a silent investor and he had input when he felt it was necessary, pity he wasn't listened to by King when he warned him re Concert Party. 

Definitely an asset to the board.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

There's no need for a non exec on the football board. It almost certainly points to a division of Andrew Dickson's responsibilities into separate administration and finance portfolios. Either that or Dickson is being replaced altogether, which I doubt.

I don't see how it points to a split in Dickson's responsibilities if Letham is (presumably) a non-exec.

6 hours ago, forlanssister said:

A great appointment, glad he's finally got round to joining the board.

Should be warmly welcomed by all Rangers fans.

If anybody still labours under the illusion that this board are out of touch with the Bears in the street then fret no more.

Are you George Letham ?

Just kidding mate, I know you know George and it is very much a comfort that he gets your "seal of approval"