Rangers in line to become richest Scot club amid Desmond reveal

Finance Guru: Rangers in line to become richest Scot club amid Desmond reveal – Exclusive

21st January 2021 at 4:00pm

Dermot Desmond and Celtic shareholders have given Rangers a helping hand to soon become Scotland’s richest club.

So says finance wiz and new Football Insider columnist Kieran Maguire, speaking after a week of PR gaffes from the Hoops hierarchy.

A widely criticised trip to Dubai and subsequent press conference meltdown from manager Neil Lennon came amid Rangers extending their yawning lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Celtic’s nine-year spell of dominance is collapsing, and so too is their financial advantage over Rangers.

Maguire believes that the Parkhead moneymen’s decision not to invest in the club during their footballing supremacy may have opened the window of opportunity just wide enough for Rangers to slip through.

He told Football Insider: “If the owner had put a little bit of money into the club, and he hasn’t put any money into the club for a long time now, Celtic could potentially have stretched the financial gap over their rivals to make it very, very difficult for Rangers to come back.

“They didn’t do that and now Gerrard’s side are clearly competitive and going to win the Scottish Premiership this year.

“I was on a radio show in 2018 and I said that Rangers just need one big season to eliminate the financial gap between themselves and Celtic.

“If Rangers win the Premiership and qualify for the group stages of the Champions League, that would not only be eliminated but I think Rangers could potentially overtake Celtic in terms of their ability to generate revenue.

“Although Europe is absolutely essential to that.”

Celtic’s revenue fell by 15.8% to £70.2million over the last financial year — a pre-tax profit of £100,000.

Rangers, by contrast, enjoyed an 11% upturn in revenue to £59m, although they posted a £15.9m loss.

The Light Blues are accelerating away from Celtic atop the Scottish Premiership, with the gap between the clubs now at 20 points.

In Europe, they have far outstripped their Glasgow rivals too, advancing to the first knockout round after Celtic finished bottom of their group.

Just a repeat of what we’ve known for a long time, if we qualify for my the UCL we will finally overtake them financially.

There is a very long way to go to achieve this. People forget it is still possible for Celtic to qualify for it next season and us not to. Sure, it doesn’t seem likely but you’re at the mercy of the draw and they will have a new manager and new team so who knows.

Should be noted that we will get an easier draw as Champions though. (sorry @Rousseau)

Edited by DMAA

I must be bored so I decided check how much of a difference finishing first makes to who you can draw in the Champions league qualifying rounds by looking at this seasons rounds. You can get an idea from this below. Basically a bad draw and we could easily go out (Salzburg will be there again next season), but a good draw and it’s easy and only two games. League path is clearly harder and one additional tie that could go wrong. 

Champions Path
Best Case

3rd qualifying round - Qarabag/Dynamo Brest

Play-off - Molde/Omonia

Worst Case

3rd qualifying round - Dinamo Zagreb

Play-off - Red Bull Salzburg

League Path
Best Case

2nd qualifying round - Viktoria Plzeň

3rd qualifying round - Rapid Wien

Play-off - Gent

Worst Case

2nd qualifying round - PAOK/Besiktas

3rd qualifying round - Benfica

Play-off - Dynamo Kiev

Had a wee read and there is a reasonable chance that we will be seeded and thus avoid the likes of Salzburg in the playoff. There is also an outside chance that we will only enter at the playoff stage, we just need the Champions League winners of this season to also win their domestic league (come on the Bavarians). 

All this talk of 'Champions' gives me the fear. We've won nothing yet, nothing. 

If the heat is turned up on Desmond I think we can expect changes down London Road way, he's never struck me as someone who'll take public criticism for very long. I was hoping Lennon would get another year. 

33 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

If the heat is turned up on Desmond I think we can expect changes down London Road way, he's never struck me as someone who'll take public criticism for very long. I was hoping Lennon would get another year. 

I would be very surprised if they didn’t attempt to bring in a high profile manager again and give him a good budget. 

23 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I would be very surprised if they didn’t attempt to bring in a high profile manager again and give him a good budget. 

what they will do is turn a profit and get the turnover as high a possible to boost the dividend and bonuses. 

that will involve selling a shed load of talent 

they will manage that perhaps like always by spending 20 million first then once the season book money is in selling 40 million. 

will the fans fall for it again.