Peter Lawell to step down as Celtic CEO

Didn’t come as a shock. It’s clear Liewell’s time was up. Once Gerrard (eventually) built his own team I always wondered how they’d react to a serious challenge.

But it will be interesting to see where Liewell goes from here. Will he retire? Or will he land one of these EPL jobs his Scottish media cheerleaders had been touting him for in recent years?

Never heard of his replacement Dominic McKay( I’m not a rugger chap) but how he handles a lot of the issues Liewell’s left behind will make or break him in a very short space of time. Finding a new manager will be his first task but I’ve always been led to believe that their ‘limited lifespan’ stadium will bite them on the backside in the near future. Be interesting to see if that develops into anything 

It could be said liewell leaving is now Steven Gerrard’s first major success asRangers manager. Perhaps not a football trophy for the ibrox trophy room but a very major scalp indeed

Edited by RANGERRAB

A strange and risky choice. For some reason they've gone for a relatively inexperienced replacement, someone untested in the sort of command-bunker role he's about to embark on. This will either prove to be a stroke of genius by the Celtic board or will very quickly end in tears. From a Rangers perspective there certainly seems to be nothing to be concerned about with this appointment. I think they've deliberately opted for a yes-man and it suggests to me there is disarray behind the scenes, with many more on the way out, and they need someone who will simply do the board's bidding.

Edited by Bill

27 minutes ago, The Tin Man said:

Apparently, if the chinese whispers are to be believed he’s off to a nice plum gig at UEFA. Don’t know how true it is but if it is indeed the case we’ll get no favours from that quarter

Aye, heard that as well, to continue spreading his anti Rangers agenda!

You may call me paranoiac, and a conspiracist, but the New Man will have no need to win friends and influence people in high places.

After all, 

...It was Lawwell's influence that helped put Ian Maxwell in his role as as chief executive of the Scottish FA and it's been Lawwell's support that's helped Neil Doncaster in his role as chief executive of the SPFL....

It's not often that BBC Sports Scotland's Irishman, English, sees -understands- things the way we see -understand- them; it is probable that he commits such opinion to paper (or to website) even less frequently, but the above italicised paragraph was penned by him.

You can read his whole piece at the link below, should you wish. To be fair it is not all gush.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55864412

Edited by Uilleam

53 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

???

That poor man needs help. I wonder if the rest of the quartet had anything t say. They didn’t look as if they were persuaded.

I don’t do twitter and I can’t be bothered with blogs and podcasts but do we have gibbering paranoids like that?

58 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

That poor man needs help. I wonder if the rest of the quartet had anything t say. They didn’t look as if they were persuaded.

I don’t do twitter and I can’t be bothered with [...] podcasts but do we have gibbering paranoids like that?

But... you listen to the superlative Gersnet Podcast, don't you... ?

giphy.gif