TONIGHT'S Euro clash with FK Zeta is massive in so many ways - but it is going to be extra special for Barry Ferguson.

The skipper will set a new club record of 65 European appearances when he leads the team out against the Montenegrins in the first leg of the Champions League second qualifying round.

Fergie had drawn level with John Greig on 64 Euro games in the first leg of Rangers' UEFA Cup Round of 16 tie with Osasuna last season.

However, a yellow card in that game left him suspended for the second leg in Pamplona so he has had to wait until now to set a new Rangers record.

Greig, who made his European debut in 1961, said: "It's a milestone for Barry and for the club and I hope he goes on to play another 65 games in Europe because it will mean that we will be successful on that front.

"The European stage is very important to the club in so many ways so I would love to see Barry go on and create a record that might never be equalled."

Thrilled Ferguson said: "I am very proud to move ahead of John because everyone knows what a fantastic player and leader he was for this club.

"He was involved in some incredible European matches and, of course, led the club to the greatest ever triumph, the European Cup Winners' Cup victory of 1972.

"It is an honour for me to move ahead of him in terms of games on this stage and I just hope that I can play my part in achieving success for the club."

I dont care what anyone says, Ferge is our best player in our team by far and has shown this in the last few games running the show in midfield.

As good a player as barry has been, I dont think that this stat reflects fairly on european campaigners of the past.

Players like Greig never played as many qualifiers against the minnows, and before the group stage thing was introduced, you had to win over the 2 legs to get another 2, not get 4 or 6 games win, lose or draw.

Not slating Barry Ferguson, more a case of highlighting the great servants of the past!

Well done barry all the same :thup:

As good a player as barry has been, I dont think that this stat reflects fairly on european campaigners of the past.

Players like Greig never played as many qualifiers against the minnows, and before the group stage thing was introduced, you had to win over the 2 legs to get another 2, not get 4 or 6 games win, lose or draw.

Not slating Barry Ferguson, more a case of highlighting the great servants of the past!

Agreed.

It is a bit of a surprising stat when the likes of McCoist were around for 15 years.

Agreed, it used to take about 8 games to get to the final, we played 10 in both the last two seasons and didn't even make the quarters either time.