How Good Is Gerrards' Rangers Record?

Added to a phenomenal current league record, SGs European record is also worth noting. We have regained respect in Europe and are now a team clubs want to avoid. 

We will most likely drop a few more points between now and the end of the season, I just hope fans can put any dropped points into perspective. 

Its getting sensational. This season alone is a stunning record and almost going under the radar on a few levels. But its been coming, from day 1 you could see what he was building, its all about holding it together for a few years now.

In Europe to go from losing in Luxembourg to now being disappointed with drawing with Benfica is a statement. This is a Benfica team who are Champions League Material and Arsenal werent pleased with drawing them next. Only Leverkusen have been a level above and they are a very good team.

Comparing periods is very hard. The Rangers sides of the 60s, 70s and early 80s were playing in a league that had some of the best sides in Europe at that time. The calibre of domestic opposition was considerably higher than it is currently. That said, I think this current Rangers side plays the best football I've ever seen a Rangers side play. I never thought I'd see a Rangers team play more pleasing football than the one Advocaat put together in his first couple of seasons, but I now think this current side is even more attractive. Now, that's not say this team is 'better', in fact I doubt it is, that side contained Numan, Porrini, Gio, Albertz, Kanchelskis and of course Barry Ferguson, all exceptional players. Our sides of the late 60s and early 70s reached 2 European finals, winning one, you could argue that was our best ever side, even though they weren't able to win the league. 

Anyway, Gerrard can only build a side to beat what's in front of him, and he's doing that with some aplomb just now. 

I think the Advocaat was more consistently exceptional through a game with the ball but there is no doubt this current team at it's best is even better to watch. 

Advoaat's brillance was a bit short lived and couldn't ultimately handle Oneils cluggers. In the end Eck did better with Advocaats players in a lot of ways. 

12 minutes ago, gaspard said:

Since Wilton, over 100 years ago, Gerrard holds the record for the longest time as Rangers manager with no trophy successes.

Just saying............

It is a fair point. Winning games is great but without trophies a bit pointless.