Stumbled across an old thread bumped on FF detailing the Rangers and Celtic squads of as of 1/9/06 (Age in brackets):

RANGERS................................CELTIC

Goalkeepers

21.Lionel Letizi(33)..........................Arthur Boruc(26)

1.Stefan Klos(35)........................ ..David Marshall(21)

22.Allan MacGregor(24)...................Michael McGovern(22)

Defenders

16. Philip Bardsley(21).....................Mark Wilson(22)

20. Alan Hutton(22)..........................Paul Telfer(34)

26. Stevie Smith(21).........................Lee Naylor(26)

18. Ian Murray(25)............................Scott Cuthbert(19)

27. Julien Rodriguez(28)...................Bobo Balde(30)

19. Karl Svensson(22)......................Stephen McManus(23)

00. Sasa Papac(26)..........................Gary Caldwell(24)

28. Antoine Ponroy(20)....................John Kennedy(22)

Midfielders

6. Barry Ferguson(28)......................Thomas Gravesen(30)

7. Brahim Hemdani(28).....................Neil Lennon(35)

8. Jeremy Clement(22).....................Jiri Jarosik(28)

11. Gavin Rae(29)............................Stephen Pearson(24)

30. Makhtar N'Diaye(24)...................Alan Thompson(32)

29. William Stanger(20)....................Evander Sno(19)

Attacking Midfield

17. Chris Burke(23)...........................Shaun Maloney(23)

14. Libor Sionko(28)..........................Aiden McGeady(20)

32. Lee Martin(19)............................Shunsuke Nakamura(28)

25. Charlie Adam(20)........................Derek Riordan(23)

Strikers

15. Kris Boyd(23).............................Jan Venegoor of Hesselink(27)

9. Dado Prso(31)..............................Maciej Zurawski(29)

4. Thomas Buffel(25).........................Kenny Miller(26)

23. Filip Sebo(22).............................Craig Beattie(22)

It makes grim reading now although there was a lot of confidence in the squads being evenly matched at the time, at least accodring to FF.

Considering first the goalkeepers. With it taking a while for AM to cement his place as our number one and with erratic early season form, Celtic were stronger in terms of their no. 1. We had the better backup but due to Boruc staying relatively injury and suspension free squad strength never told in this position.

Onto the defence. Bardsley was no better than Hutton early season and Hutton only took the jersey due to discipline problems from Bardsley. Hutton became the best right back in the country, but by this point the Tims had the league wrapped up. At the start of last season Celtic probably had the edge at RB, with us becoming strongest here at the season's end. Neither had a decent replacement.

At LB we have the better player on his day. Smith is superior to a fairly decent Naylor. However Smith has injury troubles and I would give Celtic the nod for the LB position on last season's squads. Again a lack of a decent replacement is noted.

With PLG's squad Celtic easily had a stronger pairing at CB with capable cover. Walter has taken the initiative here. We are now far stronger here but more of that later.

Looking at the midfielders listed in that squad we looked to have by far the better first picks in Hemdani, Fergie and Clement versus the likes of Lennon, Jarosik and Gravesen. However our lack of strength in depth is obvious looking at the squad list. Having said that, for reasons still noted in the current set up it did not pan out with us being stronger in this position. Then, as now, we lacked pace, a bit of steel and are devoid of creativity. despite stronger individuals they seemed to have a better midfield unit.

Looking at the "attacking midfielders" or wide players. They were stronger again. I don't see much between Adam and "poty" Nakamura but they were stronger on the other flank with better replacements.

Ignoring Sebo (sorry) our forwards looked stronger. JvoH and Zurawski were perma-injured (new word?) and Miller and Beattie are mince. Again not sure our individual quality shone through. Boyd won top scorer but we missed out on the big prizes.

So this time last year, squad analysis was done on the above squads. General consensus was we matched up well but PLG's superior management would shine through :o. I beleive I was of similar opinion.

In summary, on paper they looked stronger in goals, that pretty much held true. Their stronger looking defence held up to that supposition too. Our stronger looking midfielders did not perform better as a unit. Neither set of strikers covered themselves in glory although Celtic's forward line can bathe in the glory of winning trophies and progressing in Europe.

The fact that so many bears ended up with egg on their faces for the bold predictions made this time last year should serve as warning. However I am going to fly in the face of my own comments and predict that (on paper at least) we appear a far stronger squad than this time last year:

Goalkeepers

Mcgregor is established as number one with experience of playing for the Gers and European exprience. His ability to come for cross balls has improved, although many still worry about him in that respect. We have got rid of Letitzi (a wasteful purchase in the first place) and got rid of the dead weight Klos became on the wage bill. Owing to AM's improved confidence at being No1 and improved play and with Carroll and Smith in for Letitzi and apast it Klos I would argue our first pick and back up options have improved.

Left back

Papac was signed as a CB and that may well prove to be his best position. However playing LB he has improved over the season from a PLG reject to a player many are happy to deputise for Smith. If Smith regains fitness and with Murray as further back up I would say we are better covered here than this time last year.

Right back

With Hutton's vast improvement here instead of Bardsley we are definitely stronger. No room for anymore red mist momments though Alan. Whittaker should prove a better back up than Bardsley.

Centre Backs

What needs to be said here? What an improvement. Weir and Cuellar (a potential POTY and signing of the season) start with capable back up from Webster, Broadfoot and Ehiogu. The major difference from the PLG era.

Left Midfield

McCulloch if he ends up on the left he will strengthen the team. Adam did well at LM for my money last year, contributing goals and a dead ball threat. He needs to kick on from there with a vast improvement on recent performances necessary. With Beasley in too, the options are there for LM. An improvement on last year for this bear.

Right midfield

An undoubted weakness for us. Will Whittaker prove to be the man to fill that hole. McCulloch has filled in here although has been bought for LM or up front. Novo and Burke have filled in, sometimes well, sometimes not. Neither are the long term answer. An opportunity for Whittaker to make the position his own. Time will tell if it's an improvement on last year.

Centre Midfield

The only major change occured in January with Thomson replacing Clement. Clement may go on to be a stronger performer, but for Rangers KT is the better choice, he wants to play for us not just for one man. McCulloch can fill in here if needed increasing cover. As touched on earlier, in this case the stronger individuals (compared to Celtic) does not equate to a stronger whole in terms of the midfield unit. As stated we lack pace, dig and creativity. Debbte rages as to how to include the quality individuals of BF, BH and KT into an effective Rangers midfield. One of Walters big problems at the momment.

Forwards

Boyd needs to rediscover the goalscoring touch. When he's scoring he's our main and only real (CA aside) goal threat. A wee rest may do him good, however Sebo-esque backing might do wonders for the player too. Many want to give Sebo a chance, others want him sold. Walter says we wont pay anyone off and noone would pay a fee for him, so we continue to hope he comes good, but I have my doubts. Darcheville is not as good as Prso at his peak, but that is not the Dado we saw last year. Novo is a useful replacement who still lacks composure and a decent touch but is held in high regard for his work rate. If Boyd is off form we are very weak upfront, not much has changed from last year then.

As I say it is clear there has been a vast improvement in squad depth across all playing positions. Some major improvements have occured since PLG's era in quality as well, notably in defence. However the improvement in quality has not been enough for some fans, with no "star" names brought in this summer.

According to SDM we will have one or two more to come to complete this squad. It looks a lot stronger on paper, but on the field two main issues seem to arise. The lack of pace, creativity and obvious first picks in central midfield. Secondly, where the goal threat comes from one Boyd is not banging them in.

The next step is to compare this year XI to that from the other side of the city.

(Sorry for a long and possibly boring post, but seeing the aforementioned thread on FF tonight sparked a lot of thinking for me).

So are we in better shape than last year:

RANGERS 06...............................RANGERS 07

Goalkeepers

21.Lionel Letizi(33).........................Allan McGregor

1.Stefan Klos(35)........................ ..Roy Carroll

22.Allan MacGregor(24)...................Graeme Smith

Defenders

16. Philip Bardsley(21).......................Steven Whittaker

20. Alan Hutton(22)..........................Alan Hutton

26. Stevie Smith(21).........................Stevie Smith

18. Ian Murray(25)............................Sasa Papac

......................................................Ian Murray

27. Julien Rodriguez(28)......................Davie Weir

19. Karl Svensson(22).........................Carlos Cuellar

00. Sasa Papac(26)............................Andy Webster

28. Antoine Ponroy(20).......................Kirk Broadfoot

.......................................................Ego Ehiogu

Midfielders

6. Barry Ferguson(28)......................Barry Ferguson

7. Brahim Hemdani(28).....................Brahim Hemdani

8. Jeremy Clement(22).....................Kevin Thomson

11. Gavin Rae(29)............................Thomas Buffel

30. Makhtar N'Diaye(24)...................Makhtar N'Diaye

29. William Stanger(20)....................William Stanger

Attacking Midfield

17. Chris Burke(23)...........................Chris Burke

14. Libor Sionko(28)..........................Lee McCulloch

32. Lee Martin(19)............................De Marcus Beasley

25. Charlie Adam(20).........................Charlie Adam

.....................................................Alan Gow

Strikers

15. Kris Boyd(23)..............................Kris "tortoise" Boyd

9. Dado Prso(31)..............................Jean Claude Darcheville

4. Thomas Buffel(25).........................Nacho Novo

23. Filip Sebo(22)..............................Filip Sebo

I know Ive missed out someone. But there is no doubt we have better depth, as to whether we are stronger thats another question.

Goalkeepers:

On paper my answer would be no straight away due to Klos leaving - he was world class despite no being involved for so long. Letizi was poor but he was experienced. We now have 3 average goalies IMO, 2 with fine SPL experience and 1 with big International and Premiership experience despite him being a bombscare.

Defenders / Full backs - a certain yes for me. Svensson never settled and J Rod had 10 bad games for every good game. Cuellar looks like he has been in our back 4 for 5 years and Weir is a safe name on the team sheet.

Midfield:

Another banker yes for me as Thomson is a straight swap for Clement while McCulloch is miles better than Gavin Rae.

Attacking Midfielders:

Again yes, and id be tempted to put Buffel and McCullochs names in the list plus Novo and Whittaker can fill in. We easily have more depth here. Last years first picks of Burke and Adam surely have to move down the pecking order.

Forward:

Tough one this! We have more depth again plus others can fill in here like McCulloch, but replacing a fully fit Prso would cost us more than we have spent all summer on our new signings. So while our numbers our better that mught just pip this to being a yes but a fully fit Prso would make it in ahead of any of that strikers.

:)

Having read the first half of your post, the results show that Celtic did not have a better squad and in fact goals scored, goals conceded and goal difference were pretty comparable.

The chalk and cheese nature of the season with the two managers showed that what we lacked in the first half was a manager who could do a job in Scotland and a decent central defence.

Walter came in, sorted the defence and put together the best run of any team that season.

So either we had a better squad with a worse manager to start with and then a comparable manager or more likely an equivalent squad with a poorer manager, then a better manager.

Either way, our early synopsis wasn't wrong, it's just that we assumed wrongly that a manager with such a reputation would be able to hack it.

I kinda thought a few of these guys left but wasnt too sure. Who was the dude who went to Watford and scored on his debut but never played again??

Moses Ashikodi.

You have Lee McCulloch in your squad twice there Gribz.

I think we are stronger at GK - McGregor has a year's more experience and although I know what you are saying about Klos, Klos never wanted to play and was never likely to play unless absolutely necessary. I would discount his class because of that.

Most definitely stronger in all the other areas IMO, although the midfield could definitely be doing with a creative type in there and we could be doing with another striker.

Moses Ashikodi.

You have Lee McCulloch in your squad twice there Gribz.

Youd make a good school teacher :) But sorted!! Moved Buffel and Novo around.

Ashikodi - thats the guy - sounds familiar to N'Diaye

Having read the first half of your post, the results show that Celtic did not have a better squad and in fact goals scored, goals conceded and goal difference were pretty comparable.

The chalk and cheese nature of the season with the two managers showed that what we lacked in the first half was a manager who could do a job in Scotland and a decent central defence.

Walter came in, sorted the defence and put together the best run of any team that season.

So either we had a better squad with a worse manager to start with and then a comparable manager or more likely an equivalent squad with a poorer manager, then a better manager.

Either way, our early synopsis wasn't wrong, it's just that we assumed wrongly that a manager with such a reputation would be able to hack it.

I think in the first half of the season we had a slightly weaker, squad with the centre backs being the obvious difference between the clubs, and a worse manager (in Scotland at least). In the second half the squads were comparable (due to Walters tinkering) with a superior manager. Also in certain ares of the field, despite on paper Celtic not looking as strong (eg across the midfield) their players performed better as a unit.