Rangers HSV partnership

On 27/02/2021 at 19:27, Gonzo79 said:

St Pauli weirdos versus HSV is on BT Sport at 1930 on Monday, if anyone's interested.

? with a hint of ?

Another embarrassing loss for HSV. That’s now one win in eight games against St Pauli. 

Hamburg appear to be repeating themselves.  The two previous seasons in the second tier have both gone quite well until the business end of the season, then they capitulate...looks like they're doing it again.

They don't take chances and regularly concede late goals - not a good combination.

Schalke is tumbling towards the same status for a few years now, only that this time around they may not avoid the drop.

Which status? That of a club that has a large support and is seemingly well run from the base to just below the first team, management and business part. Especially Hamburg is in that stasis bubble of a sleeping giant that they can`t get out of (and methinks they are fan-/membership owned).

You wonder whether our club thinks about that "partnership" a bit more and sends some of our u20s players out on loan for half a year, since I would assume that even training and playing with HSV and their u23s will give them more than plying their trade with Queen of the South et al. AS LONG as they also get game time, of course.

Yes, I wondered if there might be a bit of player sharing at some point too. I don't follow German football closely dB so is there a reason why Hamburg and now Schalke are struggling? I mean other than they've got poorer players and coaches than the other sides. Have they finance problems or systemic structural issues or is it just bad luck?

I watched some of the Hamburg match the other night. St Pauli had a forward who was a bag of tricks, Muslim sounding name, great close control but poor final ball in half hour or so I watched. Certainly looked to be a better player than lower half of the German 2nd division would suggest. 

The 2nd and even the 3rd BL unearthes the odd good and talented player, i.e. one that you will find in a BL side soon enough.

As for Hamburg and Schalke, it seemingly does not click with management and players, even though Schalke, IIRC, do have some serious financial restrictions / issues, despite being sponsored by Gazprom a wee while back. I have to admit that I do not follow German football very closely, apart from 1. FC Union Berlin`s results, as that`s one of the former low-key East German clubs that have made it into the BL and doing surprising well despite being hardly up there with the big-guns money and crowd-wise. Apart from being my home-town* team. IMHO, below the top 3 or 4 teams in the BL, it all depends on the management structure and clever transfer deals and youth development. Far too many clubs dilly-dally around or spend money unwisely, sometimes the high-ups chop and change with trainers (i.e. the "managers" in Britain) too often.

* Hertha Berlin is another one of those "sleeping giants", who can`t get their act together for more than half a season. They - like Schalke - recently sacked most of their upper strata, which might change fortunes a little ... well, next season. Not that I care about Hertha.

HSV is a club that suffering from poor infrastructure and poor decision making.

They were lucky to stay in the top flight as long as they did.  

I suspect they'll remain in the second division for at least another two seasons (after this one) until they can clear out some of the gutless playing staff and find a coach/manager who knows how to instill some much needed steel into the squad.  

It's a shame because they have a huge fan base and a terrific stadium.  I've been over twice and loved it - it's a great city too.