Champions League

On 30/03/2021 at 11:11, compo said:

Looks like you are going to get an extended champions league full of teams that aren't champions,  ffs bring back the old European cup that was contested by the champions of their own country. 

The competition was a lot poorer when it was the European Cup. The Champions League has a lot of fantastic games.

Look at the year Steaua won it. They beat Vejle, Honved and Kuusysi to reach the semis! They beat Anderlecht in the semis and then drew the final 0-0 against Barca in an extremely boring game.

That's hardly a fantastic achievement and a vast majority of people wouldn't be interested in any of the games other than the final, which was a borefest.

The CL is a far better competition and much more challenging and entertaining.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

The competition was a lot poorer when it was the European Cup. The Champions League has a lot of fantastic games.

Look at the year Steaua won it. They beat Vejle, Honved and Kuusysi to reach the semis! They beat Anderlecht in the semis and then drew the final 0-0 against Barca in an extremely boring game.

That's hardly a fantastic achievement and a vast majority of people wouldn't be interested in any of the games other than the final, which was a borefest.

That's what cup football is all about you take whoever your drawn against 

50 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Look at the year Steaua won

Another team got to a final by way of Nantes, Vojvodina and Dukla (whether Prague or Pumpherston) probably not much different.

22 minutes ago, onevision said:

Thought Bayern v PSG was a fantastic match....best for a long time.

It was a great game.

There's been a lot of great games. Juve v Porto, Barca v PSG and Sevilla v Dortmund being some of the most recent.

On 08/04/2021 at 13:31, Bluedell said:

Yes, that is how Liverpool were able to win three of their European cups.

Back to the second legs.

Tuesday:

Chelsea (2) v Porto (0). Id be very surprised if Chelsea throw this away, Porto did win in Turin so are a good side but Chelsea and looking good. Havertz is looking like a world beater. I still think Giroud is their best option upfront with Havertz behind him.

PSG (3) v Bayern (2) - this could be another belter. Bayern have to come out and attack which could leave them open at the back. Bayern are the masters at this stage but they need to score at least twice so I think its a stretch to much.

Wednesday:

Dortmund (1) v Man City (2) - This one is wide open. City will bring 7 players back in who were on the bench against Leeds. Dortmund are not great in the Bundesliga this season but strong in the CL. This one is open but I fancy City to win the competition so will stick with them.

Liverpool (1) v Real Madrid (3) - If there was a full 50000 packed Anfield Id be tipping Liverpool to go through but I can see Real scoring on the night meaning Liverpool may need 4 goals.

31 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Back to the second legs.

Tuesday:

Chelsea (2) v Porto (0). Id be very surprised if Chelsea throw this away, Porto did win in Turin so are a good side but Chelsea and looking good. Havertz is looking like a world beater. I still think Giroud is their best option upfront with Havertz behind him.

PSG (3) v Bayern (2) - this could be another belter. Bayern have to come out and attack which could leave them open at the back. Bayern are the masters at this stage but they need to score at least twice so I think its a stretch to much.

Wednesday:

Dortmund (1) v Man City (2) - This one is wide open. City will bring 7 players back in who were on the bench against Leeds. Dortmund are not great in the Bundesliga this season but strong in the CL. This one is open but I fancy City to win the competition so will stick with them.

Liverpool (1) v Real Madrid (3) - If there was a full 50000 packed Anfield Id be tipping Liverpool to go through but I can see Real scoring on the night meaning Liverpool may need 4 goals.

Chelsea,  city Madrid and the German hun for a four time roll up.

19 hours ago, compo said:

Chelsea,  city Madrid and the German hun for a four time roll up.

2 out of 2 for me. I fancied Bayern to win on the night but not overturn the agg. Im still not a fan of away goals especially at this level. Fair play to PSG scoring 3 in Munich but overall the tie was a draw IMO and I would like to see away goals scrapped.

I didnt realise both legs of the Chelsea Porto game was played in Seville - imagine that went down to away goals with both ties being played on a neutral ground!

Tonight I'll stick with City and Real to go through. Out of the teams left in it I hope the winners of Dortmund v City go on and lift the trophy. I wouldnt want to see any of the others win it.