Gerrard interview - confirms the five players involved

14 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Yep looks the end for zungu. Genuinely thought he’d be challenging Jack for his position but doesn’t look likely now

Zungu is a strange one. In his first sub appearance he looked an absolute world-beater, and i'm watching that thinking, wow, what have we got here! He didn't quite reach that same standard in starting appearances or subsequent bench appearances, but looked a tidy player to me, has some attributes and of course could certainly have become a much better player for next season once he settles into the foreign country and lifestyle a bit better, and our coaching team get to work on him. 

Of course, now all of that is highly unlikely due to a reckless decision. Send on first plane home and let him wallow in regret.

These players didn't just breach their employer's rules on Covid. They're not just stupid, they broke the law. I find this really disappointing but not nearly as disappointing as it will be if Rangers doesn't ask these players to look for new clubs in the summer. 

33 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Yep looks the end for zungu. Genuinely thought he’d be challenging Jack for his position but doesn’t look likely now

When you think that we have Davis, Jack, Kamara and Ofoborh in the summer, plus perhaps Kelly and Arfield or even Aribo, where would Zungu fit in? He might be a solid DM/CM, but due to lack of game time and adaption has probably not convinced many of us that he is one for the future. 

We all know it's going to be interesting (if that's the right word) to see how this is handled by the authorities compared to other breaches.  Celtic and Aberdeen both had a £30k fine (£8k up front and the rest suspended) for breaches in September.  But those were breaches of Football rules, not legal breaches.  To my memory there was no punishment handed down to the players involved (officially at least, we know Bolingoli was moved on shortly after).  I suspect penalties here will be harsher, how long until certain elements start talking about points deductions and the like?  A move to prevent internation travel for footballers (which would only affect Rangers, thankfully we play Antwerp away first tomorrow so may be too soon to put that in place and force us to forfeit, but again I wouldn't put it past some to try such a move.  The club will have to be quick to respond to any attempt at heavy handed punishment given that imposed on other clubs (Duffy??)

None of which suggests that the 5 involved have been incredibly stupid and should be punished in an appropriate manner.  Legal fines at a minimum and a suspension handed down to them, I'd like to see the club get ahead of disciplinary proceedings and issue a lengthy suspension to all of them so that when the inevitable SPFL suspension comes up, we've already dealt with it internally.  Should they be moved on? The precedent was set with Edmundson and Jones so I suspect they may be, Patterson in particular will be a shame to see go if he does, but there is an argument to be made that they've made a very serious error of judgement, but if they can learn from it and make the right noises (and supporting actions) there may be a future for them here...  The Patterson situation looks very worrying though with a coverup story, could be more to come on that as well...

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think that's Zungu finished with us. He needed more time to deal with the physical side of the game, but generally, he's not shown enough to be given that time, and this breach is the nail in the coffin. 

I think the youngsters should be punished, but then given a route back. 

If Tavernier was injured, Patterson has really shot himself in the foot. When is Tavernier injured, to give Patterson a game? Karma.  

I think it would be a real shame for Patterson to be sent packing; a homegrown youngster with huge potential. But we can't discriminate here - the die was cast with Jones and Edmundson.

25 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

We all know it's going to be interesting (if that's the right word) to see how this is handled by the authorities compared to other breaches.  Celtic and Aberdeen both had a £30k fine (£8k up front and the rest suspended) for breaches in September.  But those were breaches of Football rules, not legal breaches.  To my memory there was no punishment handed down to the players involved (officially at least, we know Bolingoli was moved on shortly after).  I suspect penalties here will be harsher, how long until certain elements start talking about points deductions and the like?  A move to prevent internation travel for footballers (which would only affect Rangers, thankfully we play Antwerp away first tomorrow so may be too soon to put that in place and force us to forfeit, but again I wouldn't put it past some to try such a move.  The club will have to be quick to respond to any attempt at heavy handed punishment given that imposed on other clubs (Duffy??)

None of which suggests that the 5 involved have been incredibly stupid and should be punished in an appropriate manner.  Legal fines at a minimum and a suspension handed down to them, I'd like to see the club get ahead of disciplinary proceedings and issue a lengthy suspension to all of them so that when the inevitable SPFL suspension comes up, we've already dealt with it internally.  Should they be moved on? The precedent was set with Edmundson and Jones so I suspect they may be, Patterson in particular will be a shame to see go if he does, but there is an argument to be made that they've made a very serious error of judgement, but if they can learn from it and make the right noises (and supporting actions) there may be a future for them here...  The Patterson situation looks very worrying though with a coverup story, could be more to come on that as well...

Yes, our best hope is to get our retaliation in first then there would be no reason for the authorities to take further action.

2 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Absolutely no chance Zungu was going to be challenging Jack for his position.  His loan deal wouldn't have been extended, covid breaches or not.  He hasn't done enough to warrant a permanent deal unfortunately