Nathan Patterson - stick or twist?

16 hours ago, craig said:

I would be surprised if any of us could say we haven't broken lockdown rules in some way, shape or form.

I do, though, understand these guys are in a different situation 

Although they are in a different situation to us, they are also generally different from us. We, as middle aged men (or in some cases OAPs) are telling teenagers how to act.

I'd guess that there would be few of us who could say, hand on heart, that our teenage selves wouldn't have done something similar. There may be some who would say that they wouldn't because they were playing for Rangers, but that's an easy thing to say when you've no chance of doing it. Once you are there, it's just an everyday thing to them. 

I do however, have a lot of sympathy for the opposing argument and can fully understand it.

I just hope that management do what's best for the long term interests of the club.

8 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

There's a statement from Messrs Gerrard and Wilson up on the official website:

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/supporter-update-1/4KcxScvSgLO4bSMkKEvQLw

There's also a video (behind the paywall) with Bassey, Zungu and Patterson apologising.

https://www.rangers.co.uk/tv#/categories/Interviews?videoId=0_ihzo6jbc

It's awkward viewing but presumably the club see this as the final stage of the punishment with a view to everyone moving on.

Some years ago, The NZ All Blacks -that is, the players- instituted a set of rules. 

The first rule was: No Dickheads.

Simple to understand, it has done them no harm, whatsoever. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that our own dickheads should be bagged, just that I am disappointed that Rangers' dressing room does not display the same rigour. 

13 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Some years ago, The NZ All Blacks -that is, the players- instituted a set of rules. 

Whether someone is a dickhead or not is subjective but, having grown up in a town full of rugby players, I'd have to say a rugby team without dickheads is an impossibility.

I'm glad Rangers have done the right thing here.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Whether someone is a dickhead or not is subjective but, having grown up in a town full of rugby players, I'd have to say a rugby team without dickheads is an impossibility.

I'm glad Rangers have done the right thing here.

How many went on to play for the ABs?

I think that the NZ players instituted the rule effectively. Really, it's just an injunction to adhere to professional standards. 

Edited by Uilleam

21 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Simple to understand, it has done them no harm, whatsoever. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that our own dickheads should be bagged, just that I am disappointed that Rangers' dressing room does not display the same rigour. 

I remember that. One of the most impressive things about the All Blacks is their desire for what they regard as "All Black culture" to extend beyond the field of play and cover all aspects of decent and reasonable conduct. You can be a great rugby player but unless you show good character you've no chance of making it through the system. I also had no idea why something like this isn't more in evidence at a club like Rangers. We seem to spend more time discussing what to do with dickheads when they transgress and not nearly enough on the need for a club ethos that excludes them in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

I remember that. One of the most impressive things about the All Blacks is their desire for what they regard as "All Black culture" to extend beyond the field of play and cover all aspects of decent and reasonable conduct. You can be a great rugby player but unless you show good character you've no chance of making it through the system. I also had no idea why something like this isn't more in evidence at a club like Rangers. We seem to spend more time discussing what to do with dickheads when they transgress and not nearly enough on the need for a club ethos that excludes them in the first place.

Standards, and self discipline; both are essential for long term individual and collective success in modern professional sport, even in Scotland. 

We need only look, quickly, I add, across the city, at the guttersnipe outfit, run by guttersnipe, for guttersnipe, to see the truth of this. 

Edited by Uilleam