Nathan Patterson - stick or twist?

Just now, CammyF said:

I think SG made his feelings about young Nathan (and Bassey and Zungu to a lesser extent) abundantly clear during his interview.

In think it's case closed and move on.

Agreed. It's up to the manager to do what he thinks is right for the benefit of the player/team/club.

I am always a bit concerned about punishments being applied 2, 3, 4, whatever no of times , for the same offence. That doesn't happen even to sex murderers. 

I imagine -trust- that the Club has enforced its Disciplinary Code, to which the players signed up on joining/renewing contract. 

The matter seems, now to be closed, from its point of view. 

That does leave the issue of what the SFA(and/orSPFL?) will do. I have no doubt that there will be, as they say, an appetite to, as they say, throw the book at the players, primarily, in my view, because they are Rangers' players, and impose heavy penalties, probably bans. 

The beaks' first problem is that they will have to take into account the Clubs' impostions, in assessment of any sanctions, as I am convinced that it is challengeable if they do not. 

The second problem is, of course, what we might call the camel in the room, namely, the adventures of the club like no other in the Arabian Gulf, and the lack of action, by the beaks,  on clear infractions of protocols, rules, requirements, etc. 

Add in the 'girlfriend' flying in from America, untested, unquarantined; the house parties, organised by their once star forward, and/or his current dig; the weekends in Spain, with the girlfriend, and others, following which no quarantine was imposed; Shane Duffy leaving the 'bubble', such as it was, in Dubai, flying to Heathrow on a commercial flight, then returning to Glasgow, on, I think,a commercial flight, having undertaken family and other business, in London and/or Brighton, and playing straightaway, with no isolation/quarantine period, etc. etc. and you have quite the problem for the authorities.

I might hazard that a club has honoured the rules, regulations, and protocols, more in the breach than in the observance, with, as far as I can see,  little, or no, action, or even explanation, to other Clubs at least, as to why disciplinary measures were not appropriate.

Punishing, now, any other Club and/or its players is therefore, significantly problematic, in terms of equity and fairness (never watchwords at the football authorities, granted), in the light of the precedents apparently set recently. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

I’m on record as saying I would have sacked the lot of them , but also that I was glad it wasn’t up to me, but what a way for Patterson to apologise to the manager, club & fans than with a 16 second goal in a finely balanced European tie at Ibrox.

That is a decent start to repaying the faith SG has shown in him, but clearly there is a long way to go until that debt is paid off in full.