Gersnet Forum | Player of the Year Race 2020/21 | February

It's been three months since our last update so thought provide you with the latest stats from our forum MotM votes so far this season (up to and including the Killie game). 

In the last few months we've seen Goldson and Barisic drop out of the top 5 being replaced with Morelos and Davis.  I note the latter has been discussed as a possible PotY candidate in the media of late but it seems clear (even recently) that Kamara remains our top-performing midfielder when it comes to our forum users.

Despite a drop off in his performances, the skipper is still top of the pile for now but, if his injury is a bad one, then it seems Kamara and Kent will battle it out for the forum PotY.

Outwith the top 5 contenders, players such as McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Hagi and Roofe all have a good share of the vote and it's very close from places 4-10.

Anyway onto the stats!

Votes Cast (at time of image creation): 910

Games Played (including Leverkusen 2nd Leg): 41

Number of Different MotM Winners: 14

Current Leader: James Tavernier (7 awards / 14% of the total votes cast)

poty_image_feb21.jpg

Also worth noting that Goldson has started every game and Tav has played in every game whilst McGregor, Barisic, Kamara, Davis and Kent have helped form the core of our team with 20+ league starts.

The likes of Goldson doesn't have as many MotM awards (currently 3) but there's no doubt in my mind he's been one of our best performers - if not the best - this season.  His level of consistency is quite incredible.

I only we hadn't let Josh Windass slip through our fingers.

That aside, it's very surprising none of our central defenders feature in the top five, given this is a season largely built on our defensive record.

Just now, Bill said:

I only we hadn't let Josh Windass slip through our fingers.

That aside, it's very surprising none of our central defenders feature in the top five, given this is a season largely built on our defensive record.

Jus posted about Goldson as you posted.  There's no doubt his contribution (as well as McGregor's) have been vital.

Helander and Balogun have been largely just as reliable (with the latter proving a real bargain) but their rotation/injuries mean they've not quite been at the same level as Goldson and the full backs.

Generally though the spread through the squad shows it's very much been a team effort this season.  Guys like Hagi, Arfield and Roofe have all played important parts despite missing periods of the season through injury.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Goldson has been a rock.  He's rarely MotM because central defenders tend not to stand out but he's a big part of why we've done so well this sesson.

Absolutely. In fact, in a one-off vote for player of the year I think it would be hard to look past him. What a superb signing he's turned out to be!

Season 76-77 is best forgotten, it was the season sandwiched between two Trebles.

However, something noteworthy occurred. A crisi in central defence saw Jock Wallace contact his old mate and manager of Southampton, Lawrie McMenemy. The Saints had just won the FA Cup and their Scots central defender and BIG Bluenose, Jim Steele was available for short term loan. Clutching his FA Cup winners medal, Jim pitched up at the Albion and kicked everybody. He played five straight games in six weeks, including ra Sellik. He was deservedly booked in all five games and tried extra hard against ra Yahoos to get another booking. He was staunch.

You can imagine the end of season discussions at all the RSCs? Jim won six RSC POTY awards, on the strength of those successive cautions. 

In this vein, I am voting for Nathan Patterson because it will annoy the hell out of the usual suspects. 

24 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Season 76-77 is best forgotten, it was the season sandwiched between two Trebles.

However, something noteworthy occurred. A crisi in central defence saw Jock Wallace contact his old mate and manager of Southampton, Lawrie McMenemy. The Saints had just won the FA Cup and their Scots central defender and BIG Bluenose, Jim Steele was available for short term loan. Clutching his FA Cup winners medal, Jim pitched up at the Albion and kicked everybody. He played five straight games in six weeks, including ra Sellik. He was deservedly booked in all five games and tried extra hard against ra Yahoos to get another booking. He was staunch.

You can imagine the end of season discussions at all the RSCs? Jim won six RSC POTY awards, on the strength of those successive cautions. 

In this vein, I am voting for Nathan Patterson because it will annoy the hell out of the usual suspects. 

Jim Steele was my type of defender