[FT] Rangers 5 (Morelos 9; Patterson 46, Kent 55; Barisic 79pen; Itten 90+2pen) - 2 Royal Antwerp

Didn't get a chance to post after the game last night, but as I said before the game, what a time to be a Rangers fan. Love a European draw Friday. 

There were so many big performances last night. Totally agree with Ally McCoist and our manager that it was the best the front three have played all season. Kent and Morelos were outstanding, what a confidence boost that is for both and they have put themselves in the shop window in Europe again. Hagi's performance wasn't at that level but he still carried out an important role that is different to Kent. He was actually involved in all 3 goals scored while he was on the pitch, albeit in a secondary role. The first he applied the initial pressed which led to the inside pass, the second he made a clever interception and managed to direct the ball to Morelos, the third he was in the hole to receive the ball, turn and play a smart pass to Morelos.

I thought the midfielders were very good too. At times I was just amazed that whoever had the ball I was on the edge of my seat. Kamara would get it and I'm thinking what's he going to do here, then it goes to Aribo and I'm thinking the same and so on. What a talented team we have. My only concern against better opposition is that without Jack we lack a bit of defensive discipline and aggression.

Last but not least what a difference Patterson made when he came on. As much as Balogun deserved all the praise he got for last week, I'm just not a fan of a centre back playing rightback. They don't have the agility to defend against dribbling players in wide areas and you lose a lot going forward. Patterson's goal was outstanding, his run was so clever in the way he run across the back line inside before receiving it and his finish shouldn't be underrated. Many players would have just fired it at the keeper in that position and won a corner. He really does seem to have the potential to be the next Alan Hutton.

Massive congratulations is due to the management and the team. Reputations are being built, player values are rising, the coffers are being filled (£500k for last night I think) and the increasingly important co-efficient is being topped up at club and national level.

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

I think Davie is quite entitled to ask it given what happened but, I guess, the manager is quite entitled to expect something a bit more positive.

I think his issue was that it was the first question. If it had been asked as the fourth, he probably wouldn't have had an issue. Davie was just unlucky. 

35 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Over €10m in prize money already from the EL this season.

Here's hoping for a kind draw at noon today! :cool:

Oh wow, I didn’t realise you got £500k just for participating last night, I thought that was for winning. Great news, that’s another 1.1m in the bag then. 

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

I think Davie is quite entitled to ask it given what happened but, I guess, the manager is quite entitled to expect something a bit more positive.

I could take the view that asking about Paterson, et alia, first up was doing SG a favour, by allowing him to get it out of the way, immediately, and heading off, at the pass, any 'football writers' who may have been inclined to labour the matter. 

6 hours ago, Gribz said:

Astonishing result over two legs. 

We may mention who we all fancy in the next round but I would say a lot of teams wont want to be drawn with us at the moment.

As for the English sides I think leicester may have had been the toughtest due to their style of play but with them being out its an advantage, I dont see Slavia Prague as being too scary in their place.

Arsenal would be their for the taking - keep Saka and Aubameyang quiet and that would be it.

Man Utd - weak defence that could be got at.

Tottenham - Weak at the back also but Kane and Son are frightening when they click.

Id like to avoid Shakhtar, Villarreal and As Roma first.

I'd like us to get Dynamo Kiev and beat them and secure our place in the group stages for the riches of the Champions League. We should not have to go through the diddy qualifying rounds any more.