2 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I've not seen much of Grealish, but I don't consider Kane to be someone that would scare me as a defender, aye he can finish, but he doesn't have frightening pace or the ability to bully either. 

The best comparison I heard was from someone who called him the next George Best ....The interviewer should have asked - But what about on the the park.....

5 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Interesting topic. Strength in depth for England but not so much in the strikers. What’s Ings doing in that list? Calvin-Lewis is young. Rashford is inconsistent. Sterling’s a scoring winger which leaves Kane  as the only out and out, bang it in the net striker.  One more than Scotland has, I suppose.

There are only eleven for each team on the park at one time so there’s no reason why the first eleven from a small country should not be able to compete with the first eleven from a larger country. In my teenage years Scotland had a comfortable lead in head to head victories. I couldn’t imagine Scotland being overtaken. I was into my twenties before I discovered otherwise. 

In B internationals and League internationals Scotland’s record was pretty decent but not so much in the under 23s. There’s the clue perhaps for what came about. 

Population numbers make it inevitable that though your first team might do all right your third eleven struggles and finding a fourth could be difficult whereas the big boys can find a hundred players without too much reduction of quality.

Another factor in Scotland v England terms is the difference in demographics which gives England a pool of outstanding athletic talent. 

Will reply to you in the morning sir. your post deserves a reply. Unfortuntely I hit Vodka for the second time . Im working my way through this.

16 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Interesting topic. Strength in depth for England but not so much in the strikers. What’s Ings doing in that list? Calvin-Lewis is young. Rashford is inconsistent. Sterling’s a scoring winger which leaves Kane  as the only out and out, bang it in the net striker.  One more than Scotland has, I suppose.

There are only eleven for each team on the park at one time so there’s no reason why the first eleven from a small country should not be able to compete with the first eleven from a larger country. In my teenage years Scotland had a comfortable lead in head to head victories. I couldn’t imagine Scotland being overtaken. I was into my twenties before I discovered otherwise. 

In B internationals and League internationals Scotland’s record was pretty decent but not so much in the under 23s. There’s the clue perhaps for what came about. 

Population numbers make it inevitable that though your first team might do all right your third eleven struggles and finding a fourth could be difficult whereas the big boys can find a hundred players without too much reduction of quality.

Another factor in Scotland v England terms is the difference in demographics which gives England a pool of outstanding athletic talent. 

As promised.

I see your point about Ings but he is on the list as current call ups (I think). He was dropped from my next list.

Rashford - I really rate him. I hate player comparisons but he is very much like Anelka. The difference being the French mentality and thats why Anelka did so well. I think Rashford is too nice. Ole at the wheel wont help that as he was also too nice.

11 v 11 USA v Croatia (random pick) Population nothing to do with it mate. Its about talent and the governing bodies have to take responsibility into that. Funnily enough I had this conversation in a taxi not so long ago. The driver was from Pakistan who was a mad cricket fan and I asked why Pakistan doesnt have a football team with a population of 208 Million.

B internationals - bring them back. I remember going to a Scotland v England B in the 80s at Pittodrie. Im sure it was Gascoignes debut. A but like the reserve leagues - bring them back as too many players can get frozen out with U21 league.

4 hours ago, Gribz said:

Rashford - I really rate him. I hate player comparisons but he is very much like Anelka.

I don’t see Anelka in Rashford but you’re right about management. Ferguson would have got another 30% out of him 90% of the time.

US isn’t a proper soccer nation yet. Croatia v Germany is a better comparison. Croats’ first team competes and wins. Maybe the second team. I can’t be sure but I speculate Germany’ thirds would have it easier. (Why have I suddenly thought of Croatia v Pakistan at cricket?)

Reserve leagues should be brought back, I agree. I doubt if there’s a public appetite for B internationals now. They flourished at a time when people had much fewer entertainment opportunities and the Scotland B team was as good as the first picks. 

On 02/03/2021 at 06:01, Gribz said:

I would say this current England squad would be the toughest any manager has had to pick. The amount of talent Southgate has is unreal. Its a shame a better manager isnt in charge to have these players.

There was a good discussion on Talksport about it and who gets picked and who plays. I wrote down a provisional squad of 40 and Southgate will need to trim 17 off this.

Keepers:

Pope

Heaton

Forster

Henderson

Pickford

Defenders / Full Backs:

Stones

Maguire

Gomez

Coady

Mings

Keane

Dier

Maitland-Niles

Alexander-Arnold

Tripper

Walker

Wan-Bassaka

Chilwell

Shaw

James

Midfielders / Attacking Midfielders / Wingers

Henderson

Rice

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Bellingham

Ward-Prowse

Philipps

Sancho

Saka

Mount

Grealish

Madison

Barnes

Lingard

Foden

Greenwood

Strikers / Forwards

Kane

Ings

Calvin-Lewis

Sterling

Rashford

No Hudson Odoi or Barclay who seem to turn it on for Southgate and will be in a squad. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

No Hudson Odoi or Barclay who seem to turn it on for Southgate and will be in a squad. 

Barclay could be there - another quality player. Hudson is whayyyy off. .

Loftus Cheek is another - if he plays to his potential he is like a Vieira. But he never does it.

Edited by Gribz

11 hours ago, Gribz said:

Barclay could be there - another quality player. Hudson is whayyyy off. .

Loftus Cheek is another - if he plays to his potential he is like a Vieira. But he never does it.

I think Hudson will still be picked by Southgate as he is playing regularly under Tuchel. He is certainly ahead of Lingard and from the list of midfielders there isn't too many out and out wide players like him.