I would say this current England squad would be the toughest any manager has had to pick. The amount of talent Southgate has is unreal. Its a shame a better manager isnt in charge to have these players.

There was a good discussion on Talksport about it and who gets picked and who plays. I wrote down a provisional squad of 40 and Southgate will need to trim 17 off this.

Keepers:

Pope

Heaton

Forster

Henderson

Pickford

Defenders / Full Backs:

Stones

Maguire

Gomez

Coady

Mings

Keane

Dier

Maitland-Niles

Alexander-Arnold

Tripper

Walker

Wan-Bassaka

Chilwell

Shaw

James

Midfielders / Attacking Midfielders / Wingers

Henderson

Rice

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Bellingham

Ward-Prowse

Philipps

Sancho

Saka

Mount

Grealish

Madison

Barnes

Lingard

Foden

Greenwood

Strikers / Forwards

Kane

Ings

Calvin-Lewis

Sterling

Rashford

1 hour ago, Gribz said:

Keepers:

Pope

Forster

Henderson

Defenders / Full Backs:

Stones

Maguire

Coady

Mings

Tripper

Walker

Chilwell

Shaw

Midfielders / Attacking Midfielders / Wingers

Henderson

Rice

Philipps

Saka

Grealish

Madison

Barnes

Lingard

Foden

Strikers / Forwards

Kane

Sterling

Rashford

Extremely difficult. But this is the 23 Id select.

How Pickford is even getting caps is beyond me, he is the worst English keeper of all time. Celtic missed a trick with Forster - yet he made the mistake going back to Southampton as No.2, he is a keeper I actually really rate, he just needs confidence. Replacement for McGregor in a year or so??? Id have him.

Walker being able to play as a centre half puts him in ahead of Trent. Trippier can play both sides so is in.

Perhaps lightweight in the centre of the park but Dier is as his name says so doesnt get near it. With Grealish, Madison, Lingard, Foden and Barnes you should only need one holding midfielder anyway.

From Scotlands point of view going against them -

1) I dont see a world class keeper.

2) If Jordan Henderson is the savour and then we should be laughing.

3) No Terry Butcher, No Tony Adams, No John Terry.

4) Dykes should have a field day against them.

5) I feel sorry for our defence.

Edited by Gribz

39 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I see a hell of a lot of 'talent' that is possibly over hyped due to the league they ply their trade in, and very few names that would genuinely worry me, apart from Sancho, Foden and Sterling. 

Fair comment to be honest. Possibly links to the manager. If Venebles had this lot Id worry. Southgate isnt even qualified for me.

But coming up against them in the summer they will probably take us apart especially when we have out worst defence on record.

Interesting topic. Strength in depth for England but not so much in the strikers. What’s Ings doing in that list? Calvin-Lewis is young. Rashford is inconsistent. Sterling’s a scoring winger which leaves Kane  as the only out and out, bang it in the net striker.  One more than Scotland has, I suppose.

There are only eleven for each team on the park at one time so there’s no reason why the first eleven from a small country should not be able to compete with the first eleven from a larger country. In my teenage years Scotland had a comfortable lead in head to head victories. I couldn’t imagine Scotland being overtaken. I was into my twenties before I discovered otherwise. 

In B internationals and League internationals Scotland’s record was pretty decent but not so much in the under 23s. There’s the clue perhaps for what came about. 

Population numbers make it inevitable that though your first team might do all right your third eleven struggles and finding a fourth could be difficult whereas the big boys can find a hundred players without too much reduction of quality.

Another factor in Scotland v England terms is the difference in demographics which gives England a pool of outstanding athletic talent. 

3 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I see a hell of a lot of 'talent' that is possibly over hyped due to the league they ply their trade in, and very few names that would genuinely worry me, apart from Sancho, Foden and Sterling. 

Add Kane to that list and maybe Grealish. Kent is easily as good as Harvey Barnes.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Add Kane to that list and maybe Grealish

I've not seen much of Grealish, but I don't consider Kane to be someone that would scare me as a defender, aye he can finish, but he doesn't have frightening pace or the ability to bully either.