Professor Roy Greenslade

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

A quick Wiki search on Rusbridger's formative years maybe explains why folk like him concoct and perpetuate terms like white privilege, male privilege etc.

Seumas Milne worked -pre Corbyn- at The Guardian, too. A Sixth Form Stalinist, he too was a supporter of some kind of 'the armed struggle'. 

I suppose he will have returned to it, and his handsome salary, following Corbyn's defenestration by public and Party. 

1 hour ago, forlanssister said:

The bomb that murdered 12 year old, Tim Parry and 3 year old, Jonathon Ball was the second detonation by the IRA in Warrington in a month. Two bombs were placed inside cast metal litter bins on Bridge Street(Warrington's main shopping thoroughfare). The IRA telephoned Liverpool Samaritans and told of an explosive device situated outside Boots Chemists, a thirty minute warning. The Police rushed to close and clear the Boots shops in Liverpool. The bombs detonated, the cast metal became the shrapnel, killing two and wounding 56. The IRA warning never mentioned Warrington.

Rangers played Celtic at Parkhead that day, we lost 2-1. A large element of the Celtic support were in a state of frenzy that day, they sang their usual supportive songs of the Provos with more gusto. Roy Greenslade was not alone in celebrating the murder of children.

This guy lectured on professional ethics. 

Anybody who has looked through this thread, even cursorily,  will wonder where to start with that proposition. 

Below is an article from today's Times.

Greenslade, basically, vilified a rape victim, whose rapist was a high ranking 'RA man, in a piece for The Guardian. The current editor has apologised for the bastard. 

The bastard, himself, in a masterpiece of the mealy mouthed offered a

“sincere apology for failing to disclose my own interests”.

This isn't an apology to the victim for his attempt to shred her credibility. 

It also begs the question of whether he would have written a different piece if he had been forced to acknowledge his own political interests, which were opposed to hers. 

I think not. 

Guardian apologises to rape victim for Roy Greenslade piece

Matthew Moore, Media Correspondent

March 6 2021, 12:01am, The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/guardian-apologises-to-rape-victim-for-roy-greenslade-piece-pvf2lkbzf

The editor of The Guardian has personally apologised to a woman whose account of being raped by an IRA member was questioned by the journalist Roy Greenslade.

Greenslade, 74, the paper’s former media columnist, raised doubts about Máiría Cahill’s testimony on the grounds of her “anti-Sinn Fein agenda” in a 2014 article, without disclosing his own ties to Irish republicanism.

The former Fleet Street editor’s sympathies have been widely known for more than a decade, but he caused outrage this week by confessing his support for violent IRA terrorism.

The left-leaning newspaper has now ruled that Greenslade broke its editorial standards by failing to be transparent with readers about his political views.

A lengthy note has been added to the bottom of the online version of the article, following a review of all Greenslade’s pieces about Northern Ireland by the readers’ editor.

“Columnists are hired for their opinions but the readers’ editor considered that here the writer’s political position should have been indicated openly,” it states.

“The lack of disclosure was especially unfair to a vulnerable individual, and The Guardian has now apologised to Ms Cahill.”

Katharine Viner, editor-in-chief of The Guardian, has written to Cahill, a former Irish Labour senator, to offer a private apology. Greenslade has also admitted fault, saying he regrets not revealing in the article that he had previously written for Sinn Fein’s newspaper An Phoblacht. He offered a “sincere apology for failing to disclose my own interests”.

However, Cahill said the apologies did not go far enough and demanded further corrective action. “When an abuse victim comes forward and takes the difficult step to waive anonymity it is unfair to accuse them of political motivation,” she said.

The Guardian mea culpa continues: “The need for the writer to be transparent about his own politics was especially important here because the column dealt with the highly sensitive matter of a woman’s claims concerning the trauma of rape and an alleged cover-up by the IRA and Sinn Fein.”

Greenslade’s confession of support for IRA bombing campaigns, in an article for the British Journalism Review, was condemned by victims and the prime minister’s spokesman, prompting his resignation as a lecturer in journalism ethics at City University.

Greenslade, 74, joined The Guardian in 1992, having previously edited the Daily Mirror.

Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian during most of Greenslade’s time there, insisted he was unaware of his support for terrorism, adding: “Trust is best served by transparency”.

4 hours ago, compo said:

There is an interesting bit in the mail on Sunday by Peter Hitchens's about Greenslade and others I would post it if I knew how .

Your right Compo It is interesting: 

New Labour’s secret IRA fan? He is not as rare as you’d think...

This is Peter Hitchens’s Mail on Sunday column

A prominent New Labour journalist, Roy Greenslade, has finally admitted he is a lifelong supporter of IRA violence. You should care, even though you may think Mr Greenslade is obscure and unimportant.

For it is yet another of those lightning-flashes which reveal something I have been trying to tell you for years and which you do not want to believe. 

New Labour, whose ideas have now captured the Tory Party too, is a revolutionary party, rooted in Marxism and loathing of Britain as it used to be.

I’ll be back to that. But first, Mr Greenslade. He is a close friend of Alastair Campbell, the ruthless bullying commissar, elected to nothing by anybody, who was given unheard-of ministerial powers when New Labour entered Downing Street. This was the first vital step of Blair’s constitutional revolution. But Mr Campbell doesn’t like talking about his old pal Roy.

They were mates when they both worked for the lying monster and thief Robert Maxwell at the Daily Mirror. But in the early years of Blair’s government, Mr Greenslade patrolled the media on behalf of his friend, using the Left-wing Guardian as a platform from which to attack journalists and newspapers – including The Mail on Sunday – which criticised the Blair/Campbell government.

In a giveaway to anyone not besotted with the idiotic but widespread idea that the Blair creature is a conservative, Mr Greenslade once proclaimed himself to be ‘like many former Marxists, an unashamed admirer of Tony Blair’.

Why would that be? Because trained revolutionaries could see, as the public could not, what Blair was really up to. Long after it could do Blair no harm with voters, he admitted to having been a Trotskyist at Oxford, though he did not say which organisation he belonged to.

An astonishing number of Blair’s senior Ministers are known to have been ‘former’ Marxists, from the Communist Party or its offshoots – from the Militant Tendency or from a body called the International Marxist Group (IMG).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6197097/PETER-HITCHENS-reveals-REAL-truth-Communist-infiltration-Britain.html

I am pretty sure several others had similar pasts, of which we know nothing.

I remember the IMG well. In my student Leftist years, I recall being disgusted to hear IMG members shouting ‘Victory to the IRA!’ on demonstrations. I was a revolutionary in those days, but even so I balked at supporting murderers and gangsters such as the Provisional IRA were and still are.

The IMG also encouraged its members in a tactic called ‘entryism’ – joining the Labour Party so as to infiltrate it and take it over. This was quite easy in the 1970s when Labour’s old membership was dying on its feet and many London local Labour parties were there for the taking.

Support for the IRA in such places was strong and shameless, and I got myself shouted down more than once for speaking against it in the then Hampstead Labour Party.

If you think such ideas vanished from the minds of those involved, or were confined to a few Corbynites, you are very much mistaken. The IMG entryists did not stop being ultra-radicals as they slithered upwards in their nice careers and in the Labour machine – they just got smoother and slicker about how they went about it.

Mr Greenslade is actually more honest than the others, but that’s not a compliment to him. 

On 07/03/2021 at 12:56, ChelseaBoy said:

Your right Compo It is interesting: 

New Labour’s secret IRA fan? He is not as rare as you’d think...

This is Peter Hitchens’s Mail on Sunday column

A prominent New Labour journalist, Roy Greenslade, has finally admitted he is a lifelong supporter of IRA violence. You should care, even though you may think Mr Greenslade is obscure and unimportant.

For it is yet another of those lightning-flashes which reveal something I have been trying to tell you for years and which you do not want to believe. 

New Labour, whose ideas have now captured the Tory Party too, is a revolutionary party, rooted in Marxism and loathing of Britain as it used to be.

I’ll be back to that. But first, Mr Greenslade. He is a close friend of Alastair Campbell, the ruthless bullying commissar, elected to nothing by anybody, who was given unheard-of ministerial powers when New Labour entered Downing Street. This was the first vital step of Blair’s constitutional revolution. But Mr Campbell doesn’t like talking about his old pal Roy.

They were mates when they both worked for the lying monster and thief Robert Maxwell at the Daily Mirror. But in the early years of Blair’s government, Mr Greenslade patrolled the media on behalf of his friend, using the Left-wing Guardian as a platform from which to attack journalists and newspapers – including The Mail on Sunday – which criticised the Blair/Campbell government.

In a giveaway to anyone not besotted with the idiotic but widespread idea that the Blair creature is a conservative, Mr Greenslade once proclaimed himself to be ‘like many former Marxists, an unashamed admirer of Tony Blair’.

Why would that be? Because trained revolutionaries could see, as the public could not, what Blair was really up to. Long after it could do Blair no harm with voters, he admitted to having been a Trotskyist at Oxford, though he did not say which organisation he belonged to.

An astonishing number of Blair’s senior Ministers are known to have been ‘former’ Marxists, from the Communist Party or its offshoots – from the Militant Tendency or from a body called the International Marxist Group (IMG).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6197097/PETER-HITCHENS-reveals-REAL-truth-Communist-infiltration-Britain.html

I am pretty sure several others had similar pasts, of which we know nothing.

I remember the IMG well. In my student Leftist years, I recall being disgusted to hear IMG members shouting ‘Victory to the IRA!’ on demonstrations. I was a revolutionary in those days, but even so I balked at supporting murderers and gangsters such as the Provisional IRA were and still are.

The IMG also encouraged its members in a tactic called ‘entryism’ – joining the Labour Party so as to infiltrate it and take it over. This was quite easy in the 1970s when Labour’s old membership was dying on its feet and many London local Labour parties were there for the taking.

Support for the IRA in such places was strong and shameless, and I got myself shouted down more than once for speaking against it in the then Hampstead Labour Party.

If you think such ideas vanished from the minds of those involved, or were confined to a few Corbynites, you are very much mistaken. The IMG entryists did not stop being ultra-radicals as they slithered upwards in their nice careers and in the Labour machine – they just got smoother and slicker about how they went about it.

Mr Greenslade is actually more honest than the others, but that’s not a compliment to him. 

The bold Peter, whom I once had some regard for, now seems to have suffered some sort of brain aneurysm - if he thinks Trotsky advocated individual terrorism of the kind the provos perpetrated then he clearly did not study his writings. Same goes for sects like the Revolutionary Communist Party.

Blair image.jpg

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

The bold Peter, whom I once had some regard for, now seems to have suffered some sort of brain aneurysm - if he thinks Trotsky advocated individual terrorism of the kind the provos perpetrated then he clearly did not study his writings. Same goes for sects like the Revolutionary Communist Party.

Blair image.jpg

I'm trying to imagine someone wasting life by studying communist political theory but it's too awful.