Rangers appeal Patterson, Bassey, Zungu et al bans

• Frankie changed the title to Rangers appeal Patterson, Bassey, Zungu et al bans
9 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

investigated and dropped

Maybe that’s why we’re appealing the bans for Paterson, Bassey, Zungu etc

the main bone of contention for me over their Dubai trip was Duffy. He left Dubai on the Monday for personal reasons & flew back on a commercial airline then played against hibz in a league game the following Monday. My arithmetic ain’t the best but that’s not 10 days isolation. Even Shooo Keevins made that point on SSB on the evening of the hibz game.

The SFA have done nothing about this as far as I know 

44 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Maybe that’s why we’re appealing the bans for Paterson, Bassey, Zungu etc

the main bone of contention for me over their Dubai trip was Duffy. He left Dubai on the Monday for personal reasons & flew back on a commercial airline then played against hibz in a league game the following Monday. My arithmetic ain’t the best but that’s not 10 days isolation. Even Shooo Keevins made that point on SSB on the evening of the hibz game.

The SFA have done nothing about this as far as I know 

The SFA have declared it all fine. 

1 minute ago, PoohBear said:

It’s an absolute farce if there are no ramifications for Celtics players and there are for ours. 

There are no ramifications for the scum players - that was dropped months ago.  

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.  Our players will probably have the full 6 match bans implemented as a result. 

Personally, I'm delighted that Shane Duffy was not banned.  Well done the beaks.  ?

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Rangers have got off lightly, says John Kennedy

Celtic interim boss slams inconsistency over Covid rules

Ewing Grahame

Friday April 09 2021, 12.01am, The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rangers-have-got-off-lightly-says-john-kennedy-76hd8k26c

John Kennedy, Celtic’s interim manager, has hit out at the Scottish government and football’s governing bodies over what he perceives to be inconsistent treatment of clubs whose players have been found in breach of Covid-19 guidelines and laws this season.

He questioned the sanctions and the time taken by the authorities when dealing with the transgressions and criticised the government for their differing responses to them, claiming his club’s attempt to secure a tenth successive league title was hampered by what he regards as harsher treatment than that applied to eventual champions Rangers for similar offences.

Celtic and Aberdeen were condemned by the first minister Nicola Sturgeon, after the Belgian full back Boli Bolingoli and eight Pittodrie first teamers were found to have broken Covid-19 restrictions at the start of the season. The clubs’ next two league games were postponed and, on August 28, Bolingoli was given a five-match suspension while the Aberdeen players received three-match suspended bans. The Scottish Professional Football League later fined the clubs — both had already disciplined the offenders — 30,000, with £22,000 of it suspended.

In contrast when Rangers fringe players Jordan Jones and George Edmundson attended a party on November 1, the club took internal action against Jones and Edmundson, were not fined by the SPFL and had no games postponed; indeed, the government issued a statement commending Rangers for taking “swift and decisive action”. Within 18 days, the SFA issued seven-match bans for the players, who are currently on loan at Sunderland and Derby County respectively.

Yet when five other Rangers players (Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Bongani Zungu, Brian Kinnear and Dapo Mebude) attended an illegal party in Glasgow on February 14 — it ended with police handing fixed- penalty notices to ten of those present — it was not until March 30 that the SFA issued six-game bans, with two of those suspended until the end of the season.

Rangers appealed the sanctions and a date of April 20 was yesterday set for the hearing, which means that Patterson can feature in the Scottish Cup fourth-round tie against Celtic at Ibrox a week tomorrow, having played in the 1-1 Premiership draw between the sides at Celtic Park on March 21.

Kennedy disagreed with the Rangers manager Steven Gerrard’s claim that the full back should be treated differently because he is a potential Scotland player.

“Steven has his reasons to do and say that, but our players are also talented: we paid money for them and have high hopes for them,” he said. “Look at the Bolingoli situation. Yes, he broke the rules, he was punished for it and rightly so. We’re not defending that. But it was a massive setback in terms of his career at Celtic [he’s now on loan at Istanbul Basaksehir]. That’s the punishment for stepping out of line. It was made very clear to our players that these are the situations that you can’t get involved in. One because you’ll be punished for it but also because it brings extra pressure and scrutiny on the club.

“Bolingoli was punished and we accepted that was the right thing. These [Rangers] players have been caught breaking the law themselves. The SFA have to address that quickly.

“It’s consistency that a lot of people in Scotland will ask for whether it’s with officiating, the SFA disciplinary process or other things. It should be very clear how you deal with situations like this. And regardless of the player — how talented or how valuable he is — there comes a punishment when you step out of line.

“We’ve been dealt with harshly in the past and had to accept it. We’ll have to wait and see what comes Rangers’ way. They’ve broken rules: regardless if you are a talent or you’re not, you’ve still broken the protocols and there’s a punishment that goes with that. Our players are talented, they’ve been punished: it’s the same difference. The SFA probably need to address this themselves and give a bit more clarity to everyone in terms of the hold-up and why it’s taken so long.

“It’s only my opinion but it’s something I think should have been dealt with a hell of a lot quicker to remain consistent with all the other decisions that have happened. I’m saying ‘protocols’ because we tend to use that word but 100 percent they [the five Rangers players] were breaking the law and were dealt with [by the police] initially.

“We were were punished harshly [by the government and football authorities] and we had to accept that. It wasn’t a good situation; there was a lot of pressure on us because of it, as we were then playing catch up.”

Kennedy said it was contingent on the Scottish FA to explain the timeframe around the delay in the case.

“There’s obviously been a process in place as to how they deal with these things but, for whatever reason, it seems to have broken down at this point and only they can answer that.”

(Mr Ewing Grahame, whose efforts I have only lately noticed, and whom I take to be, from his fawning, and wholly uncritical, reporting, can only be The Times' suppliant sellik correspondent.)

Edited by Uilleam