[FT] Slavia Prague 1 - 1 (Helander 36)

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I think that they could well be better than these clubs. Unbeaten in their domestic league, and knocking out Leicester suggests to me that they are. However I agree with the latter part of what you say.

I only saw about 25 of the game v Leicester by which time they were defending their lead comfortably. An unbeaten domestic record (I didn’t know that) will certainly suggest confidence and quality in abundance. If this is a step up from Benfica, then we are probably not quite 50/50 to go through.

We are not quite the defensive fortress in Europe, which is understandable given the quality of opposition compared with the domestic bus parkers. To progress we’ll need to keep it very tight and organised at the back, be switched on from the kick-off and not concede early. Certainly need to be better at the back than we’ve done against the likes of Benfica and Antwerp.
That said, I think our best chance is by defending from the front with our forwards pressing hard preventing them from playing out, rather than sitting back and hoping to benefit purely from counter attacks. If we can score an away goal and come away without losing we give ourselves hope. Not that playing at home will be much easier. This team are capable of anything, on their day, so I hope we’ve recovered from the party and are ready to keep giving our all. 

I agree with OP that this one will be toughest challenge so far. Over two legs Im confident. I could see a 0-0 away from home but a 1-1 would be great to get the away goal.

Hopefully the players have been in the sauna sweating all the beers out of them from the weekend.

This is an enjoyable article from Slavia. Particularly love the story of their first manager! https://en.slavia.cz/clanek.asp?id=From-352-micer-to-AC-DC-Unexpected-links-between-Slavia-and-Rangers-792 "Dressing Madden in a Rangers´ jersey and international cap belonging to Speedie and Robertson, he was provided with credentials that made him acceptable to Slavia."