"Fresh doubts have been raised over whether the upcoming Old Firm derby will take place later this month.."

Rumble, rumble, rumble, the "row" -one of the SNP administration's own mendacious manufacture, as every schoolboy knows- rumbles on.

Having ignored Rangers overtures and concerns pre-Championship Weekend, the government, in the shape of a Justice Minister, who embraces politically expedient support for a Scottish club which purports to be Irish, has decided to engage with both Clubs, with a view to their preventing supporters hitting the streets in numbers. 

From the report, in today's Times, it seems likely that, if the Clubs fail in this task, the match may not go ahead. 

Since the Scottish Government quite plainly, now, sees public order as a matter for Football Clubs, will all Clubs, post pandemic, be able to dispense with the services of Poileas Alba, before, during, and after, matches? 

It would free up resources for more important policing matters such as training networks of informers in the intricacies of hate crime, thought crime, pig ignorance, and the nuances thereof. 

Messrs Martindale and Ross speak sensibly about the matter. 

Holyrood’s warning to Celtic and Rangers

Paul Forsyth

Friday March 12 2021, 12.01am, The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/holyroods-warning-to-celtic-and-rangers-hzgwdhvst

Fresh doubts have been raised over whether the upcoming Old Firm derby will take place later this month after the justice minister Humza Yousaf expressed the government’s concern in the wake of Rangers fans’ title celebrations in Glasgow last Sunday.

He said that he cannot rule out the possibility that the fixture at Celtic Park on March 21 could be called off.

“I enjoy a Rangers versus Celtic match as much as the next person but let’s be very, very clear here we’re in the midst of a global pandemic,” he told the BBC’s The Nine. “People have missed weddings, funerals, not seen their families, and we’re not going to allow people to gather and potentially create dis- order while the vast majority of citizens obey the rules.

“I will very clearly ask the clubs to put out the messaging, to say very clearly that fans should stay at home. I will ask the clubs to do as much as they can.

“If there is a serious likelihood over whether there may be disorder, then we would have to consider whether or not it’s wise to allow the match to go ahead.”

Earlier the Livingston manager David Martindale stated his belief that Rangers fans’ celebrations could have erupted into violence had it not been for lockdown. He suggested it might have been much worse had other people been on the streets, but he also thinks there was nothing more Rangers could have done to prevent the scenes in George Square and outside Ibrox.

With the Hibs manager Jack Ross also arguing that clubs should not be held responsible for behaviour away from stadia, the row over the fans’ breach of coronavirus restrictions rumbles on.

Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister, has accused Rangers of “not doing nearly enough” and there are talks with police.

Martindale said: “I don’t understand what Rangers were meant to do. Thank God we’re in lockdown when that happened. Can you imagine if we weren’t? The city centre would have been jumping, there would have been a bit of violence. We were fortunate it was probably just Rangers supporters who were out.

“Everyone knows I’ve been to prison. See the amount of people who are in prison as a result of Rangers and Celtic games, it’s incredible. People who have lost their lives or committed murder or drink-fuelled violence. Being in lockdown helped. But I don’t understand what Rangers were meant to have done better. I don’t know how you control that.”

Ross also leapt to football’s defence, saying it had become an easy target for politicians. “Clubs can be responsible for a certain amount and the behaviour of certain things,” he said. “But they are not, as far as I know, in charge of society. That’s the responsibility of other people.”

Politicians using current events to deflect from their own shortcomings and failings is nothing new. As the events of Saturday and Sunday fade, and football people start responding saying what can we do, the more backed into a corner politicians are.

Will the game get cancelled? Hell no. Will it get moved, more than likely. 12:30PM Monday 22nd would be my guess. 

There are rumours the game might get switched to the Monday.  Wouldn't surprise me, although I doubt Sky would be happy and that wouldn't help Scottish football.

I still think a few Bears will turn up at the Piggery, regardless of when it is played.