Taking the knee

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

Is it? That's your opinion, I stick by mine. Really not in the mood to get into this tonight, I'm still seething regarding the latest episode in a sad long line of Rangers players being racially abused recently (It's not confined to Rangers players or even the UK, it's all over).

Bill is right.  The only reason you think racism is the worst it’s ever been is due to the platform of social media.

just thinking logically, how can any of us say that racism is worse now than the days of segregation ?  It isn’t, a distance has been travelled since those days, but clearly a greater distance still remains.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Bill is right.  The only reason you think racism is the worst it’s ever been is due to the platform of social media.

just thinking logically, how can any of us say that racism is worse now than the days of segregation ?  It isn’t, a distance has been travelled since those days, but clearly a greater distance still remains.

In this country I think real racism only lurks in a few remaining dark corners. Compared to when I was young there are very few determined racists around and most who are so inclined tend to keep it to themselves because they now know they will be heavily criticised, or worse. The big exception, as you rightly identify, is social media, which acts like an amplifier for bigots while suppressing serious debate. But that too will get sorted out in due course. I honestly think we're further along the road on this than many think, which is why there's such profound distaste at the Kamara abuse. Let's be honest, Rangers is a club whose support has been adept at issuing abuse. I see and hear much less of it now. Like general society, we ourselves have come a long way in that respect and it would be a shame not to acknowledge it and wring our hands in the emotion of the moment.

9 hours ago, Thinker said:

Certainly, prematch kneeling in the UK is unlikely to reduce racism in Czech football.

Do they take the knee in Prague? Are players and fans in the Czech league routinely exposed to messages highlighting the harm casual racism can cause? If not (and I suspect they aren't) maybe they should be.

I think we can only focus on our own house and what happens in it.

Kamara’s statement says it all really, and you can see in Goldson’s demeanour that he looks tired and completely dejected from having to deal with this stuff. UEFA really need to do something, the Slavia Prague reaction has really made a joke of racism.  I’m also struggling with the amount of people using team colours to gloss over what’s happened, sickening.

6 hours ago, craig said:

I said it's the worst it's been in my lifetime (or that I can remember). Segregation was awful and thankfully repelled, however having lived in the US there are certain areas who'd happily bring it back. 

Racism is rife and you're right, social media is the platform of choice for your modern day racist scumbag. In fact, if the allegations are true, it appears Slavia are setting up social media accounts and using these fake accounts to target Kamara with more disgusting racist abuse. 

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I said it's the worst it's been in my lifetime (or that I can remember). Segregation was awful and thankfully repelled, however having lived in the US there are certain areas who'd happily bring it back. 

Racism is rife and you're right, social media is the platform of choice for your modern day racist scumbag. In fact, if the allegations are true, it appears Slavia are setting up social media accounts and using these fake accounts to target Kamara with more disgusting racist abuse. 

The lack of action from social media companies is a joke. Is it that hard to have an AI police posts and dms? I think not, and also the lack of action from the authorities to ensure these companies get in order is a joke too.

I think I’ve personally become more and more aware of racism in recent years through my own learning. I’ve had my own failings too with a form of racism which I never realised until recently, we should always be prepared to learn and change our ways for the better. Understanding the nuance is so important these days. However, at least we are at the point where it’s shocking to see what happened to Kamara during the match, not so long ago people wouldn’t flinch at a banana getting thrown on the field.

2 hours ago, PoohBear said:

The lack of action from social media companies is a joke. Is it that hard to have an AI police posts and dms? I think not, and also the lack of action from the authorities to ensure these companies get in order is a joke too.

I think I’ve personally become more and more aware of racism in recent years through my own learning. I’ve had my own failings too with a form of racism which I never realised until recently, we should always be prepared to learn and change our ways for the better. Understanding the nuance is so important these days. However, at least we are at the point where it’s shocking to see what happened to Kamara during the match, not so long ago people wouldn’t flinch at a banana getting thrown on the field.

When Connor Goldson states in his interview, voice cracking with emotion, that racism is rife, getting worse and going unpunished, it's time for us all to sit up, take notice and self reflect. 

When Glen Kamara has to issue a statement via his lawyer as he is being called a liar, it's time for us all to sit up, take notice and self reflect. 

Social media is a cesspit of uncensored racism from all corners of the world, it has to stop / be stopped 

Life is more tolerable when you don't pay much attention to comments sections on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram.  They're largely inhabited by overgrown children and attention-seekers.  It isn't the real world.

I'm not sure why a racist comment made by a Czech footballer or some of the racist crap Roofe/Kamara and several Premiership footballers have recently had to put up with means we all have to self reflect.  

Should I self reflect when Messi doesn't meet his tax obligations or when a celeb selfie on Instagram prompts comments about obesity or ugliness?  

Goldson said in his interview yesterday that taking the knee is a 'token gesture', so it's about time the patronising box-ticking stopped and the football authorities and Police deal with racist acts accordingly.

I'm with Bill on this, there's no way racism is worse than it's ever been, but what I do take, and agree, from Connor Goldsons comments is that it's been steadily getting worse online over the last wee while.

I recall being at a game against Parma, one of our greatest European nights at a rocking Ibrox, and at a break in play some wee f'in ned a few rows on front gives the monkey stuff to the a man who was possibly one of the best defenders in world football at the time. I wanted to choke the wee bastard, Thuram should have gone away with the sound of Ibrox bursting with joy in his ears, not that shite.

I think we've come a long way since even that short time ago.

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Life is more tolerable when you don't pay much attention to comments sections on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram.  They're largely inhabited by overgrown children and attention-seekers.  It isn't the real world.

I'm not sure why a racist comment made by a Czech footballer or some of the racist crap Roofe/Kamara and several Premiership footballers have recently had to put up with means we all have to self reflect.  

Should I self reflect when Messi doesn't meet his tax obligations or when a celeb selfie on Instagram prompts comments about obesity or ugliness?  

Goldson said in his interview yesterday that taking the knee is a 'token gesture', so it's about time the patronising box-ticking stopped and the football authorities and Police deal with racist acts accordingly.

In my opinion self-reflection is always worthwhile for these things.  In this very thread you tried to correct me for using outdated terminology and pushed me to use other terms that I believe are actually now deemed offensive in themselves. I'm not bothered by that by the way, but it shows that reflection isn't a punishment, it's just an attempt to try and understand why those terms may be now be offensive. Most of us have been there and unintentionally said something offensive, but if you're willing to reflect on why or how that's the most important thing.