[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Slavia Prague

3 hours ago, Gribz said:

It will only put us in good stead for the CL next season and its all but confirmed we will be in the group stages automatically.

That’s for the season after next. Next season we have two qualifiers to get through. 

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Watch it again.

He was looking at the ball the whole time and will not have known where the keeper was.

Still dangerous though.

I'm not saying he did it intentionally, but it was still a crazy thing for him to do.

I much prefer Helander to Balogun, but I don't think it was the wrong decision to play Balogun.

Slavia looked to be letting our CBs have the ball, then press when it came into midfield. In the first leg, Helander played long balls that didn't really come off. 

The best way to overcome that is for a CB to run with the ball, and that is something Balogun does quite well. 

Ultimately it didn't help us, but I think it was the right idea. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I much prefer Helander to Balogun, but I don't think it was the wrong decision to play Balogun.

Slavia looked to be letting our CBs have the ball, then press when it came into midfield. In the first leg, Helander played long balls that didn't really come off. 

The best way to overcome that is for a CB to run with the ball, and that is something Balogun does quite well. 

Ultimately it didn't help us, but I think it was the right idea. 

He gets caught with the ball when he runs with it though. I just find he is far mor prone to errors than Helander and that showed last night, he was lucky not to concede a penalty after a mistake. I also just find his passing is a bit more unsure, it doesn’t help that he is right footed and playing on the left. 

It was a strange tie. Ultimately, they were better, but I don't get the feeling we were outplayed, technically. 

Tactically, we didn't have enough solutions for their press. I have no doubt the coaching staff will be working on that, for they are pretty good at tweaking us and finding new solutions to problems. 

Slavia almost did what we we do - defend well, press aggressively, and nick goals. 

And, as has been said, they were much more streetwise than us. I had this complaint when we played Benfica, in the 3-3 game. If we had been a bit more 'dirty' or aware or streetwise we would've won that game. 

The red cards stopped any chance we had, but I am a little disappointed. But, I'm still extremely proud of this team's achievements in Europe. We've been incredible. 

The racist remark has soured the whole thing, though. 

There has been a lot said about going out to a better team. Slavia deserved their win but I don’t think they were the better team, I saw two very evenly matched teams who both toiled to create any chances at all. Unfortunately, Slavia scored early from a half chance which imo McGregor should have saved. Once that goal went in it was a uphill battle but the red card prematurely ended what would have been a fascinating contest, but I think we had every chance of getting back into the game and were starting to apply real pressure. 

Edited by DMAA

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He gets caught with the ball when he runs with it though. I just find he is far mor prone to errors than Helander and that showed last night, he was lucky not to concede a penalty after a mistake. I also just find his passing is a bit more unsure, it doesn’t help that he is right footed and playing on the left. 

Yes, but I think you take all that, if you can get a tactical advantage. Having someone that could run with the ball was better.

(I wonder if Simpson can do that? Although, he wouldn't have played anyway.)

I'm just putting forth a theory as to why Balogun was picked. Like I said, I think it was the right idea - although, it didn't work out ultimately.

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

There has been a lot said about going out to a better team. Slavia deserved their win but I don’t think they were the better team, I saw two very evenly matched teams who both toiled to create any chances at all. Unfortunately, Slavia scored early from a half chance which imo McGregor should have saved. Once that goal went in it was a uphill battle but the red card prematurely ended what would have been a fascinating contest, but I think we had every chance of getting back into the game and were starting to apply real pressure. 

I think they were the better team--simply because they got the results. 

But, I agree, I don't think they were far ahead of us. The red card(s) snuffed out any chance we had.

They almost did what we do to teams in Europe - defend well, press aggressively and nick goals. 

It's a braw sunny morning down here think I will get the wife to take me and the dog's down to the beach,  but my last thought on last night's events I am a great  believer in what happens on the park stays on the park someone should have taken care of the Prague player with a tackle of the utmost ferocity putting and end to his game .