[FT] Celtic 1 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 38)

1 hour ago, compo said:

Its about time we handed this lot a good thumping and Sunday would be a nice way of banishing the blues of last night .

Agreed. Its the ideal game after last night. If it had been a run of the mill game against the likes of Hamilton I don't think we would be up for it.

We will be for Sunday. Just show them a few of vids of Griffiths and Brown antics over the last few years that should be enough. Mon the Teddy Bears

I don’t think we play as well on a full week between games, and the title hangover seems to be a long one, which makes me doubt we will find our form sufficiently to remain unbeaten domestically for the remaining games.

Our “not half of anything” opponents on Sunday have had a full fortnight to focus on this one game to try to give their fans something back after a monumental balls up of a season , so they should really start as strong favourites for this one.

The added hurt going through our club for the racism suffered by Kamara, and the huge media attention it has brought, can only add to our difficulties in preparing for what would normally be one of our biggest and most looked forward to games of the season. Will our minds really be on the job? Will our players have recovered mentally and physically from last night? Will we be able to raise our game for what is effectively a dead rubber match?

I would grab a draw with both hands, but I fail to see the bheasts ever getting a better chance to beat us than on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

we should go press them right back to their goal line. chase everything and give them not a second. If they pick us off so be it. 

If it goes right we could leather them. 

I am actually very confident in this game for some reason.  Well, aside from us just generally being a much better team than them.  I think the players will want to not just show solidarity with Kamara over last night but give a performance which says "racism won't knuck us down".

5 hours ago, ian1964 said:

From the mouth of Shug ...

https://www.sportbible.com/football/rivalries-celtic-should-not-give-rangers-a-guard-of-honour-20210308

RYAN SIDLE in FOOTBALL

Published 9:11, Monday 08 March 2021 GMT

Celtic shouldn't give new Scottish champions, and fierce rivals, Rangers a guard of honour before the Old Firm game in two weeks time, that's the view of one Scottish pundit.

PLEASE O VIEW THIS VIDEO

On Sunday Rangers were crowned the Scottish Premiership winners for the first time in a decade, after Celtic failed to beat Dundee United, drawing 0-0 at Tannadice.

The draw ended Celtic's hopes of winning 10 titles in-a-row, having become the third Old Firm team to do nine last season, making it all the harder to take for the Hoops and even better for their rivals.

What is worse for the Parkhead based team is their victorious rivals visit east Glasgow in 13 days time, the next league game.

Traditions suggests that Celtic will welcome the visitors with a guard of honour before kick off but Scottish journalist Hugh Keevins doesn't think the home side should stick to it.

"Tradition demands we open the debate on whether they should give the new champions a guard of honour when they next visit Parkhead," Keevins wrote in his Daily Record column

"No, they shouldn't.

"Just as Rangers were right not to give Celtic a guard of honour when the boot was on the other foot.

MORE LIKE THIS

Right facing arrow

"For all that the description implies dignity and respect, that's not what it means where these two are concerned. It is meant as a punishment exercise to be inflicted on one set of supporters for the enjoyment of another set of fans who want to rub their opponents' noses in their own misfortune.

"Rangers have won the title for reasons that don't stand on ceremony.

"Their players don't need hollow applause from fellow pros who wouldn't be showing an ounce of sincerity while forming two disinterested lines before kick-off.

"And Gerrard doesn't need to be patronised by hollow gestures when Rangers have achieved success on the back of their own hard work."

Steven Gerrard celebrated with Rangers fans after the win over St Mirren. Image: PA Images Steven Gerrard celebrated with Rangers fans after the win over St Mirren. Image: PA Images

Keevins probably has a point about 'hollow' applause and gestures, especially when you consider what transpired at the Etihad Stadium at the end of last season.

However all anyone could talk about afterwards was Bernardo Silva's refusal to applaud their opposition for the evening onto the pitch.

Edited by barca72

18 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

it's been done by the team the week after winning it for many years. We weren't that team 2 years ago. 

Well, yeah, but was it ever done at a Old Firm game?

As for the game, our back-line looks rather thin. Katic and Tav are out, Helander and Patterson doubtful, which would leave us with Balogun, Goldson, Simpson and Bassey as right-back/centre-half cover. Could become interesting, given the "inexperience" regarding the Old Firm style of "football". Too bad that Jack isn`t there, as he would have provided decent protection. You would hope we send out Hagi, Wright and Kent from the off, with Morelos up top. No need to again wait till Arfield and Aribo get going in a match.

Edited by der Berliner

I'm never very confident about our games at their dump and tomorrow is no different.  I'm not sure how it will go but I think the first goal will be huge, whoever gets it.  

Hopefully our players are fully focused and ready to do battle with the contemptuous slime that awaits.

Mon The Rangers!  ??

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Well, yeah, but was it ever done at a Old Firm game?

As for the game, our back-line looks rather thin. Katic and Tav are out, Helander and Patterson doubtful, which would leave us with Balogun, Goldson, Simpson and Bassey as right-back/centre-half cover. Could become interesting, given the "inexperience" regarding the Old Firm style of "football". Too bad that Jack isn`t there, as he would have provided decent protection. You would hope we send out Hagi, Wright and Kent from the off, with Morelos up top. No need to again wait till Arfield and Aribo get going in a match.

i believe this is the first time it would be required since it started .