[FT] Celtic 1 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 38)

2 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

There was a very good article in The Athletic about Tav at the weekend dB. Aside from interesting background stuff the article was at pains to underline how settled he is in Glasgow now and that whatever happens in his career he plans to make Glasgow his home when he retires. I actually wonder if there's more chance of us selling Paterson than Tav. Tav isn't going to get a crack at Champion's League football in England, I think if we offer him the right contract he's here for the rest of his career.  

It’s a good problem to have, Tav is sending signals he has no intention to leave and loves it here. Patterson is breaking onto the scene and looks ready to develop into an Alan Hutton type player. I have no idea what to do about that problem but I hope we don’t sell Patterson, I would like to see him as the natural successor to Tavernier without costing us a penny. 

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

I don't see Stewart being the answer to any perceived issues we have. 

You think we don`t have any issues with breaking down the trench diggers? Far far too many games have been dire to terrible affairs with us not able to breaking down or getting in behind those teams, and we usually used the same tactics and players over and over again. Stewart might not be THE answer to all problems, but for all the pace he perceivedly lacks, he`s got a keen football mind, trickery and ability to play a fine pass and find good spaces (aside from shooting himself). It looks like SG prefers the drive and dynamics of Kent and Wright and sometimes Aribo, yet, when there is hardly any room for that, as we have seen countless times, that approach become a blunt weapon. Again, we have the tools to unlock that and play different systems and styles, but we don`t utilize them to their full potential.

16 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Decent result, poor performance.

We seemed to give them loads of space today - so much so, I think it must have been intentional to some extent.  

Great that Morelos finally netted against them.

Scott Brown's post-match interview was more enjoyable than the match.  You know their inferiority complex is fully back when the referees get the blame.

Don't get why it would have been intentional. Could it not just be that they weren't up for it mentally after the emotional turmoil? You can be sure if our league title depended on this fixture our approach would have been much different.

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Don't get why it would have been intentional. Could it not just be that they weren't up for it mentally after the emotional turmoil?

I think it may have been intentional because our coaching staff knew Celtc would be in better shape and also because they'll have watched their matches and noted their lack of cutting edge.

There were certainly phases where we just stood off them and let them spray the ball around.  

3rd of September 39 to May10th was the phoney war or as the frogs called it the  drole de guerre a bit like this season with teams playing in front of empty stadiums so why don't we change the setup bring in the youngsters change the formation for the remaining  matches and be prepared for next season in case our leaders allow the return of fans and full battle can commence .

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

You think we don`t have any issues with breaking down the trench diggers? Far far too many games have been dire to terrible affairs with us not able to breaking down or getting in behind those teams, and we usually used the same tactics and players over and over again. Stewart might not be THE answer to all problems, but for all the pace he perceivedly lacks, he`s got a keen football mind, trickery and ability to play a fine pass and find good spaces (aside from shooting himself). It looks like SG prefers the drive and dynamics of Kent and Wright and sometimes Aribo, yet, when there is hardly any room for that, as we have seen countless times, that approach become a blunt weapon. Again, we have the tools to unlock that and play different systems and styles, but we don`t utilize them to their full potential.

but we do break them down. Do you really believe we would have more league points if stewart had played 30 games this year?

23 hours ago, gisabeer said:

Nothing strange about our performance.  It was the same as Thursday.    Same stand off tactics and let the opposition do whatever the fuck they want.   Our performance today was lame and pathetic.   Players going through the motions when we have players on the bench who are busting to play and will never get a chance.   Absolutely raging with the attitude that we showed today.   

Lol.  In a season we have dominated domestically, in a week where emotions will have completely drained the squad, our 5th match of the month to Celtic's two, we had two days of preparation to their two weeks work of preparation.... in all of that, and we have won the league the earliest it has been won in a century, undefeated in the league.... all of that... and you are raging.

I would hate to see what you have been like the last decade then.

Over-reaction may be an understatement :roflmao:

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Eh ?  We are averaging 2.36 goals per game this season in the league - how are we struggling to break them down ?  How are they dire to terrible affairs when we are scoring so many goals ?

The traits you attribute to Stewart are the same traits Aribo has.  This to me smacks of the age old problem that a player becomes better than he is simply by not playing.

I simply cannot fathom anyone, not just you dB because I see it from other sections of our support, who can complain this season about not utilizing different systems - we have dropped 10 points from 33 games this season - there has been no need to utilize different systems when, by and large, we are comfortably beating teams without much fuss at all.  Changing systems is pointless when you continue to win.  You only need to look across the city where their manager changed systems constantly, trying to find a formula that worked, and it did nothing but increase the chaos and carnage.  Why would we change a winning formula ?

Craig, you obviosuly see these dire affairs against the trench diggers from just one perspective. So be it. IMHO, we seriously underuse the options we have and it was far from easy going nor pleasing to the eye to have our 4-2-3-1 against the 0-5-5s et al.