Rangers Post-split Fixtures

Increase to 14 teams, play each other twice for 26 games. Top 6 break off to play home and away to make 36, bottom 8 have their own home and away which has a trophy for the winners and also decides relegation, (at least 2 down) plus they get an extra couple of home games to make up for lack of OF visits.

Post-split fixtures are pre-determined with position 1 playing position 6 in week 1 etc, so no possibility of outside influence as happens every year just now.

It would be a tougher league when your last 10 games are all tough games, but at the very least it will be fair, with the same home and away fixtures for every side.

21 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Reduce or increase the number of teams? Increase the number of games? What would be your ideal solution?

Ive been an advocate for a 18 team league for years. Money and TV just puts lumps into that and possibly greed.

For me 3 leagues and a pyramid system - to be fair is up and running now.

Out of interest - what would you have?

12 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Ive been an advocate for a 18 team league for years. Money and TV just puts lumps into that and possibly greed.

For me 3 leagues and a pyramid system - to be fair is up and running now.

Out of interest - what would you have?

I don't have a major issue with the current set-up, although there are some inherent problems with it.

I'm not really in favour of 18 teams. Reduces the overall quality and we end up playing a lot more "crap" teams, and less big games.

TB's solution is an interesting one. Keeps the competitive nature as we play the best teams 4 times, decreases the number of games by 2, although the clubs may not be in favour of that.

7 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'm not really in favour of 18 teams. Reduces the overall quality and we end up playing a lot more "crap" teams, and less big games.

When you look at the dominated title campaigns throughout Europe these last 20 years, many involving 20 clubs, you wonder if a 20-club league would be any worse here. I suspect the general standard of players, teams, pitches, referees, etc. would be little changed whatever format we used, as long as the game continues to be overseen by cretins, placemen and small-time chisellers.

53 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't have a major issue with the current set-up, although there are some inherent problems with it.

TB's solution is an interesting one. Keeps the competitive nature as we play the best teams 4 times, decreases the number of games by 2, although the clubs may not be in favour of that.

Roger than ..I get it. But on the flip side wouldnt the other sides strengthen. The current set up is a farce and we have accepted it. Where is the cure for football. You have seen down south - that is farcical mate.

Sorry - if Im too strong.

18 minutes ago, Gribz said:

But on the flip side wouldnt the other sides strengthen. The current set up is a farce and we have accepted it. 

They may strengthen a little, but not by that much (just a gut feeling) I'd still prefer to play an extra 2 times against Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs than Raith, Dunfermline and Dundee.

20 hours ago, Bluedell said:

They may strengthen a little, but not by that much (just a gut feeling) I'd still prefer to play an extra 2 times against Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs than Raith, Dunfermline and Dundee.

Just picking up on this. Yeah I get your point - 4 games v Celtic is more appealing than playing others - that I agree with. Its a strange one - I was just watching some games from the 80s and I didnt realize the league was 10 teams then. But it was competitive.