Rangers Post-split Fixtures

I've never been a fan of the split or understood why on earth it was brought-in in the first place.

I guess the argument to having more teams from the Championship involved is that there's negligible difference in quality between those teams in the bottom half of the top flight and those in the top half of the next league down. Would it improve the quality of football on show though? If there's less chance of being relegated, would teams try to play more positive football?

TBH, I'm pretty down about the quality of the football on display as it is, so not sure what the answer is when there's such a gulf between the top two and the rest. I know most countries have a dominant couple of teams, but is the gap any greater in Scotland than those or does it just feel like it?

2 hours ago, ascender said:

I know most countries have a dominant couple of teams, but is the gap any greater in Scotland than those or does it just feel like it?

Off the top of my head, Serbia is probably quite similar, with two teams from the largest city constantly dominating all the silverware.  Generally, European football is getting worse for certain clubs dominating, mainly because of the Champions League - the French, German and Italian leagues have been won by the same teams for several years (although Internazionale might alter this soon).

I'd go for a sixteen team league in Scotland, playing home and away but know it will never happen.

3 hours ago, Gribz said:

Just picking up on this. Yeah I get your point - 4 games v Celtic is more appealing than playing others - that I agree with. Its a strange one - I was just watching some games from the 80s and I didnt realize the league was 10 teams then. But it was competitive.

Yeah, I was never in favour of expanding it, for the same reasons as above. It was more competitive back then, but I don't think he change is due to the number of teams but rather the changes in finances created by Europe, and the greater ability to sign overseas players.

The biggest thing we could do to improve the standard of football is to have a much stronger refereeing policy to enforce the rules as they do elsewhere.  Not saying we should remove the physical element entirely, but we produce many young kids who are technically not far away from european peers right up until they hit 16-19, then we fall away rapidly as they transition to hammer thrower long ball football that we have up here.

Sort that out, protect the technical players and I reckon we could see a step change in the quality of our game in the next 5-10 years.

6 hours ago, ascender said:

I've never been a fan of the split or understood why on earth it was brought-in in the first place.

I guess the argument to having more teams from the Championship involved is that there's negligible difference in quality between those teams in the bottom half of the top flight and those in the top half of the next league down. Would it improve the quality of football on show though? If there's less chance of being relegated, would teams try to play more positive football?

TBH, I'm pretty down about the quality of the football on display as it is, so not sure what the answer is when there's such a gulf between the top two and the rest. I know most countries have a dominant couple of teams, but is the gap any greater in Scotland than those or does it just feel like it?

it was brought in to increase the number of teams in the league without a stupid number of games certainly. 

6 hours ago, stewarty said:

The biggest thing we could do to improve the standard of football is to have a much stronger refereeing policy to enforce the rules as they do elsewhere.  Not saying we should remove the physical element entirely, but we produce many young kids who are technically not far away from european peers right up until they hit 16-19, then we fall away rapidly as they transition to hammer thrower long ball football that we have up here.

Sort that out, protect the technical players and I reckon we could see a step change in the quality of our game in the next 5-10 years.

If you legitimately want to improve the standard of the Scottish football league then the biggest thing would be for more money to be shared out. More European money to all clubs, a more even split of prize and tv money - amongst other things.