3 hours ago, stewarty said:

Given the optics of whats already happened, you wouldn't rule it out.   This already feels very Farage-like.

Hope not as Farage was perhaps the most successful politician ever achieving 100% of his agenda.

10 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

Hope not as Farage was perhaps the most successful politician ever achieving 100% of his agenda.

It was more the comparison with UKIP/Brexit parties regularly having to deselect candidates because of things they've said/done.   This Alba thing is going to crash and burn though.   They already messed up with a GDPR breach on their website, and I can only imagine that every single candidate they put forward will be having their background checked in minute detail by journalists and opponents alike.  In much more detail than the Alba crew will be doing.

And I wouldn't discount more Salmond related allegations to surface.   * checks bookies odds *

Edited by stewarty

While it's satisfying to see pressure apparently being applied to the SNP, I can't help worrying that the real victims of Salmond's scheming will be the feckless pro-union parties and therefore the union itself.

1 minute ago, stewarty said:

It was more the comparison with UKIP/Brexit parties regularly having to deselect candidates because of things they've said/done.   This Alba thing is going to crash and burn though.   They already messed up with a GDPR breach on their website, and I can only imagine that every single candidate they put forward will be having their background checked in minute detail by journalists and opponents alike.  In much more detail than the Alba crew will be doing.

The point of the Alba party isn't to win new votes to separatism. It's surely to hoover up SNP deserters and in so doing maintain the nationalist vote and denying list seats to unionist parties. Of course it stimulates debate within nationalism, which may turn out to be anything between a squabble and full scale war, but it will essentially be a debate between parties travelling in the same direction.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

The point of the Alba party isn't to win new votes to separatism. It's surely to hoover up SNP deserters and in so doing maintain the nationalist vote and denying list seats to unionist parties. Of course it stimulates debate within nationalism, which may turn out to be anything between a squabble and full scale war, but it will essentially be a debate between parties travelling in the same direction.

Agreed.  Though there are interesting comparisons.  Elements within the unionist and nationalist side are both attempting to corral their supporters into voting tactically, yet the parties themselves, perhaps Douglas Ross aside, seem to be in favour of protecting their own seats.  

Alba have announced another big hitting candidate this afternoon, Amazing Alex Arthur.

We will have to wait and see whether Alex continues to pack a big punch, or he has taken several punches too many?

Wee Eck promises more sensational candidate announcements as the week goes on. By Friday it will be David Icke(shape shifting vote) and Terry Munro(fantasy vote). 

What about Mike Watson(Arsonist and Dundee United vote)?

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Alba have announced another big hitting candidate this afternoon, Amazing Alex Arthur.

We will have to wait and see whether Alex continues to pack a big punch, or he has taken several punches too many?

Wee Eck promises more sensational candidate announcements as the week goes on. By Friday it will be David Icke(shape shifting vote) and Terry Munro(fantasy vote). 

What about Mike Watson(Arsonist and Dundee United vote)?

I wouldn’t rule out Jum Spence being announced.  ?

4 hours ago, stewarty said:

Agreed.  Though there are interesting comparisons.  Elements within the unionist and nationalist side are both attempting to corral their supporters into voting tactically, yet the parties themselves, perhaps Douglas Ross aside, seem to be in favour of protecting their own seats.  

Scottish politics is a predictable wallow of self-interest and stupidity. We get what we vote for I suppose. For the first time in my life I'm getting close to not voting at all - it seems like the only moral choice left to me.

Because of this mandate thing, we really should be voting.  As galling as it is, given the piss-poor standard of politicians standing, this is going to be a very important election.

Having said that, another independence referendum is now inevitable.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Because of this mandate thing, we really should be voting.  As galling as it is, given the piss-poor standard of politicians standing, this is going to be a very important election.

Having said that, another independence referendum is now inevitable.

Another referendum is inevitable. That it will be in the next five years is not. Both sides know it's all about timing and had it not been for Brexit taking 3 ½ years to resolve and then Covid19, the clock would already have timed out. The Nats need it now, unionists need it to be later - whoever gets the timing right will almost certainly finish off the other side for good. High risk, high stakes and everyone at the table is an arsehole.