Another £2.2m of shares issued

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

or because it's 1 player sold........

or making the CL group stages. 

i don't think we are far away. 

We made a loss of over £10m last season and will do the same this season. 

Yes, we can sell players and not spend to replace them to fund the loss, but there's no guarantee that we won't get knocked out early in Europe.

There's a difference between breaking even or making a profit in one season and claiming that we're self-sufficient.

We're also heavily reliant on Gerrard's fantastic team to identify and improve players. If he was to leave at the end of the season, for example, we'd struggle to replace the backroom team with the same quality, and therefore our ability to raise cash from player sales will suffer as well.

King's claims of self-sufficiency should be put alongside his claims that we wouldn't be issuing more shares at 20p.

We hardly sold any player for a big fee, at least not one that would compensate the signings coming in. While I hope I err here, I do expect some of our prominent stars will receive offers and we`ll accept a few, which would happen sooner or later anyway. In the Scottish financial climate, even without Covid-19, it is the one way to make a club of our size work smoothly, ST money or not. 

IMHO, we will gear the start of next season on qualification for the CL group stages, no matter what. For that income will play a large part in setting us on a healthy, if not to say very healthy financial footing. Once that is achived, we will go on from there.

Perhaps if we’d accepted Lille’s £16m offer for Alfredo Morelos last summer we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But yet again the yahoos might have got 10IAR ?

Morelos remains our biggest asset(along with Kent). At some point both will likely be sold. Hopefully replacements are being identified 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Perhaps if we’d accepted Lille’s £16m offer for Alfredo Morelos last summer we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But yet again the yahoos might have got 10IAR ?

Morelos remains our biggest asset(along with Kent). At some point both will likely be sold. Hopefully replacements are being identified 

Itten and Roofe are the Morelos replacements.

Tavernier, Barisic, Helander and Kamara ... I doubt that their performances have gone unnoticed. Same with Goldson. The latter, much like Kent, will, IMHO, be loyal to SG for a season or two at least though. Morelos`market value will have improved somewhat, given that his allround-play has improved (dramatically) this season, something that will attract the better managers who don`t simply look for goal-charts.

Should Morelos decide to go, we need to keep in mind that Stewart`s contract is up, as is Defoe`s. I would assume we have a few targets lined-up for that case. Likewise,  I wonder how many of our better youngsters will be given a chance at first team level.

Edited by der Berliner

Right now I think gaining some kind of secure financial platform for the next 2-3 seasons is far more important than retaining the league title next season. We simply have to raise significant funds from players sales, be prepared to buy judiciously where required and rely on our coaching staff to improve what we get. The present financial position is unsustainable, that's a fact and there's no point debating the point. The CL is important but it can't be relied on. We absolutely have to be a player trading club.

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

Right now I think gaining some kind of secure financial platform for the next 2-3 seasons is far more important than retaining the league title next season. We simply have to raise significant funds from players sales, be prepared to buy judiciously where required and rely on our coaching staff to improve what we get. The present financial position is unsustainable, that's a fact and there's no point debating the point. The CL is important but it can't be relied on. We absolutely have to be a player trading club.

i would say retaining the league and getting a guaranteed 42 million CL boost would secure us financially. 

3 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

i would say retaining the league and getting a guaranteed 42 million CL boost would secure us financially. 

You’re right of course. And wrong. If you’re saying we should continue to run a deficit in the hope of winning the league ... but then we don’t ... and then don’t qualify for the group stages ... then we will already have incurred another massive deficit and will probably be forced to sell at a time when we may very well also have to contemplate Gerrard’s replacement. 

We need to focus on continuing the rebuilding job, which is still a long way from complete. We might get lucky and everything might fall perfectly for us but I’ve see all the gambling with Rangers I ever want to see. At the moment we definitely need to hope for the best but continue to plan for less than that and right now that has to include some much-needed financial prudence.