The Scottish elections

Just now, stewarty said:

I think the reality, like it or not, is that more and more people are convinced that the UK is not the best way to address the challenges facing the country.   

Yes, that sounds about right. Holyrood is judged by what Westminster does. Sturgeon is judged on what Johnson does. Scotland forms its views on what happens in England. I'm clearly out of my time, thinking that Sturgeon and the SNP should be judged on what they do in Scotland. It just feels sad seeing our identity as Scots reduced to a reflection of someone else's politics and not our own. 

Thankfully, I'll be one of the lucky few that won't actually be disadvantaged by independence and there's growing thought that it will be enormously satisfying to see the day when it's no longer possible to hide behind opinions of other countries. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Thankfully, I'll be one of the lucky few that won't actually be disadvantaged by independence

Salmond and Sturgeon are probably thinking the exact same thing.  

When the problems start mounting up, they'll be long gone.

20 minutes ago, stewarty said:

The challenge for the unionist block is clear in my view.  Come up with a clear and positive vision for addressing the problems we face in Scotland, and folk will be able to get on board. 

That would help, no doubt about it.

I wonder if the SNP will ever get round to doing it.

26 minutes ago, stewarty said:

The challenge for the unionist block is clear in my view.  Come up with a clear and positive vision for addressing the problems we face in Scotland, and folk will be able to get on board.   We are not talking about purely ideological nationalists voting SNP 

What problems?

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

What problems?

The main problem we have is the never-ending divide that nationalism is causing.  It'd be nice to get back to party politics.

33 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I think the reality, like it or not, is that more and more people are convinced that the UK is not the best way to address the challenges facing the country.   

I'm not sure what challenges Scotland faces just now.

None will be remembered after the implications of the fiscal deficit becomes clear.

32 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Relatively speaking.  Their share is still strong enough to get a majority or near enough a majority. 

The challenge for the unionist block is clear in my view.  Come up with a clear and positive vision for addressing the problems we face in Scotland, and folk will be able to get on board.   We are not talking about purely ideological nationalists voting SNP 

There isn't an actual Unionist block though is there?

5 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I would worry about that - a lot of English voters would vote to get rid of troublesome Jocks.

That is certainly a growing feeling from what i've seen/heard having lived down here for quite a few years - views are definately hardening and that is exactly what the SNP want. People are reacting from years of the SNP blaming the English for everything and yet receive more funding per head, despite there being many poor parts of England in need of extra funding. I know people that will never take a holiday in Scotland while the SNP continue to dominate as they would rather spend the money elsewhere.