The Scottish elections

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

No, no, no.

There must be some mistake.

Did the people of East Lothian not see the video of Anas Sarwar dancing?

So the SNP achieve 39% and Unionist parties 61%.

Do you think the 39% should be ignored as the 39% who voted for Brexit have always been by the SNP? 

34 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

The main problem we have is the never-ending divide that nationalism is causing.  It'd be nice to get back to party politics.

Ireland hasn’t been able to get over itself after 100 years. So there’s little hope the SNP’s damage will be repaired anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Relatively speaking.  Their share is still strong enough to get a majority or near enough a majority. 

The challenge for the unionist block is clear in my view.  Come up with a clear and positive vision for addressing the problems we face in Scotland, and folk will be able to get on board.   We are not talking about purely ideological nationalists voting SNP 

The clear and positive vision is to remove the barnet formula and let the SG raise it's own taxes. This would be the starkest way of showing how poor services are being managed combined with the loss of the few freebies the barnet formula provides that the rest of the country do not benefit from but help fund. It would also placate the growing resentment in rUK. 

18 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

The clear and positive vision is to remove the barnet formula and let the SG raise it's own taxes. This would be the starkest way of showing how poor services are being managed combined with the loss of the few freebies the barnet formula provides that the rest of the country do not benefit from but help fund. It would also placate the growing resentment in rUK. 

So we both agree Scotland should stand on its own feet.  

8 minutes ago, stewarty said:

So we both agree Scotland should stand on its own feet.  

With the worst fiscal position of any of the 4 nations, it would not stand on it's own feet. The EU will not be the white knight to ride to the rescue as Scotland is many many times over the allowable 3% of GDP debt. 

How would wanting to be part of the EU be Scotland standing on it's own feet when it would have less fiscal control than it does now? Explain? 

Edited by ChelseaBoy
my bad

2 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Indeed but i stand by my point. 

I don't think it actually does, Labour are under the illusion that the Tories are their opposition in Scotland when it's the SNP voters they need to capture back, while the Tories biggest asset has just run off south leaving the School Prefect that nobody likes in charge while the Liberals are little the dottled old maiden auntie that you tolerate but don't realy like all that much.