Rams eye up Hemdani

By PETER JARDINE

Premiership new boys Derby County are lining up a �£1million bid for Rangers midfielder Brahim Hemdani.

Manager Billy Davies and his Pride Park staff are believed to have monitored the player in the recent Ibrox friendly win over Chelsea.

And now they could invite Walter Smith to decide if he wants to part with Hemdani, who has two years left on his contract in Glasgow.

The Frenchman could be tempted by the lure of Premiership wages, while Rangers may feel they could redirect the funds elsewhere during the remainder of the transfer window.

With Kevin Thomson, Barry Ferguson, Lee McCulloch, Steven Whittaker and Charlie Adam all chasing places, Smith already has a series of Scottish options as cover for the midfield.

Former Marseille captain Hemdani was signed on a Bosman by Alex McLeish before his final season in charge, but injury troubled the 29-year-old initially at Ibrox.

He won a regular place last year under Paul le Guen and Smith and scored spectacular goals against Celtic and Osasuna.

He was then later named as the club's in-house Player of the Year.

Sources close to Hemdani suggest he may be content to remain at Rangers but a Derby bid could change that situation and there may be other interest if it becomes clear that he might be allowed to leave.

�£1million is nowhere near enough.

Exactly, treble it and they're closer.

I dont want him to go though, himself and thommo in midfield and BF playing off them is finally being used to good effect and i want that to continue.

I dont want him to go though, himself and thommo in midfield and BF playing off them is finally being used to good effect and i want that to continue.

Very good point! Hemdani has also been one of our more consistent players (also got bags of European experience - could be useful if we get through to the UCL group stages), so I hope we hang on to him!

I didnt think that �£1m for a player with 2 years of his contract was near enough either.

Do we have to let him speak to them if they officially make an offer?

No... That only happens if we accept an offer.

I would not be tempted by a 1M offer and doubt we could replace him for that money.

We don't have that many options in the middle of the field with only Fergie, Hemdani and Thomson naturals in the that area.

To me it would be folly to sell one of our most consistent players at a time when we're trying to build a winning squad.

A silly offer is another matter, but 1M is hardly silly money.

I don't think he's really worth 3M but that should be the MINIMUM to start thinking about letting him go.