UEFA to investigate last nights game

Uefa launches inquiry into racism

Beasley scored in the Champions League tie against Zeta

Uefa has said it will hold an inquiry into alleged racist taunts during Rangers' 1-0 Champions League qualifying victory over FK Zeta.

Goalscorer DaMarcus Beasley and Jean-Claude Darcheville were both subjected to verbal abuse by home fans.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard told BBC Five Live: "We have decided to open an investigation as there were many witnesses who reported the problems.

"Our policy is zero tolerance towards racism. We take this issue seriously."

Interview: Rangers manager Walter Smith

Interview: Rangers' Barry Ferguson

He added: "We have to find out the hard facts and that will be done through the reports of the referee and the delegates.

This is the 21st century and we are still having trouble with racism

DaMarcus Beasley

"Also, if there were any other independent observers at the game, send us their reports and we always take those into account.

"We will be thorough in our investigations."

Beasley, who hit the 81st-minute winner against Zeta, had earlier urged Fifa and Uefa to take action.

"That's something Fifa and Uefa must fight with and solve," he said.

The United States international revealed he suffered similar abuse when playing for previous club PSV Eindhoven.

"This is the 21st century and we are still having trouble with it," he stated.

"I've faced that kind of situation throughout my whole career in Europe, not so much during my playing days in England, but even in Holland I've had similar problems."

Uefa will also consider incidents in which bottles were thrown from a stand containing home supporters when Zeta were denied a penalty in the second half - and an incident of Rangers substitute Charlie Adam being struck by a lighter.

Red Star Belgrade could be the next opponents for Rangers in the Champions League.

The Serbian side lead Levadia Tallinn 1-0 after the first leg and face a tricky test in Estonia on Wednesday evening.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Whilst not forgetting about our own issues, let's hope something is done by Uefa

govanwest

But Beasley recalled a Champions League qualifier he played for PSV against Red Star in August 2004, when he also came in for abuse.

"I remember playing against Red Star Belgrade, and I mention them as they could be our next opponents in the Champions League, and I still remember some racist chants at that away match," he said.

"I will discuss the situation with Rangers because I feel strongly about it and we will decide if we should file a complaint."

There were no reported incidents of Rangers supporters misbehaving during the game.

They had been warned that any incidents of sectarian chanting could result in strong-handed action by Uefa against the club.

Rangers manager Walter Smith praised his side for subduing the threat of Zeta to progress from the second round of Champions League qualifying.

"It was always going to be a nervy game," he told BBC Sport after the 3-0 aggregate victory. "I thought we handled it well.

"Zeta showed in the first game that they are dangerous if allowed to play.

"It was never going to be an easy match but we nullified any problems in the second game."

Smith was particularly pleased with his defence and added: "Going through was the most important aspect but that's three competitive games without losing a goal.

"That was Kirk Broadfoot's first full game, while Carlos Cuellar looks like he has played there for a long time."

SEE ALSO

Zeta 0-1 Rangers (agg: 0-3)

07 Aug 07 | Rangers

British clubs get tough Euro draw

03 Aug 07 | Europe

Smith content with Ibrox victory

31 Jul 07 | Rangers

Rangers 2-0 FK Zeta

31 Jul 07 | Europe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED BBC LINKS:

Rangers fans' views on My Sport

BBC Where I Live - Scotland

Glasgow weather

BBC Sport SPL

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

Rangers

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites