Anyone doubting the importance of the manager needs only look at the way Darrel Clarke has turned Port Vale from a team hurtling towards relegation and exit from the EFL, into the best run of results in the English leagues. And it turned around almost the minute he arrived in February. It always impresses me how a new manager can transform the same squad of players.

Edited by Bill

I always wonder how the likes of Guardioa, Klopp and Mourinho would do in these circumstances. My guess is that, without their magic chequebooks, they would fail spectacularly. I think they know this, which is why they won't go to a club that doesn't give them the facility to buy success.

Stein is a classic example. Won a cup at Dunfermline, changed Hibs into a football team and transformed a bunch of also-rans in the east end. Failed at Leeds but that wasn’t surprising in the circumstances. 

I wonder what Hibs would have achieved if he had stayed.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Stein is a classic example. Won a cup at Dunfermline, changed Hibs into a football team and transformed a bunch of also-rans in the east end. Failed at Leeds but that wasn’t surprising in the circumstances. 

Aye makes you wonder 

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I had no idea Stein even went to Leeds. Was this around the time Brian Clough went there for about 40 days or something like that?

In reverse, it makes you wonder what how good managers who punch above their weight on tight budgets would be like with an open Cheque book. Dyche and Howe are examples of this - but they are not fashionable enough. I think Moyes is an exempt example from his Man Utd time as the footsteps he had to follow were too big and the Man Utd fans took years to get over him and the board room change at the time also rocked the club - but this season at West Ham running things HIS way has put his stock right back up their.

I think every manager has his shelf life I remember at the end of the other lots nine championships Stein was bringing in players that just weren't good enough I doubt if they would have got a game in the reserve team of five or six years earlier others have lost there way as well look at Wenger's early teams and later sides 

1 hour ago, Gribz said:

I had no idea Stein even went to Leeds. Was this around the time Brian Clough went there for about 40 days or something like that

Correct. You’re a bit hard on Stein, though. He did 44 days.

13 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I always think Brian Clough was the ultimate turn a small club around. getting Derby promoted and winning Div 1, then getting Forest promoted (in 3rd place in 76/77 that year behind Chelsea and Wolves!!) then winning 2 Div 1 and 2 European cups with a fantastic team. Even the Hartlepool team he and Taylor built got promotion the following year after they left for Derby. Oh and he also got fined for calling the Italians "cheating bastards" Quality.  

19 hours ago, compo said:

I think every manager has his shelf life

I always believed this too, but Moyes has completely bucked that trend. Mourinho looked like he was doing the same, but has rather predictably turned into an arse again.

It always impresses me how a new manager can transform the same squad of players

Me too, but it also annoys the shit out of me how players down tools when a guy is under pressure.

10 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I always think Brian Clough was the ultimate turn a small club around

Only lasted the customary 44 days at Leeds. I knew he was in and out at Elland Road but I hadn’t realised it was the same period as Stein.

Clough was an excellent centre forward before a bad injury finished him. Saw him score two in a 6-6 draw in a friendly at Easter Road. Joe Baker got four for the Hibs.