European Super League | All six PL teams withdraw from ESL

Looking at the news, I'm finding the moral condemnation from some quarters, especially Premier League fans, pretty amusing. Have they only just noticed the corruption that their favourite clubs have indulged in for the last 20 odd years? 

These 12 clubs certainly seem deadly serious.Remains to be seen whether this 12 club league comes to fruition or not and whether they’d still be allowed to play in their domestic leagues.

I think they do have a point about the CL though. Totally lost its appeal with too many meaningless games particularly in the group stages

Edited by RANGERRAB

Just heard a lot of condemnation from left right and centre before I actually heard a word of what they are actually planning to do.

Essentially their own European competition without "the dross" from all over Europe, so the big clubs with the best players can sling it out amongst themselves. Not too dissimilar to the reasons why the first "SPL" was once created, or, indeed, the EPL. Provide a quality product for "quality audience" and let the rest do whatever they want to do. It makes you wonder that it took them from the early 90s and the first Champions League (back in the day, when it was just about real title winners) to this year. IMHO, much of what happens now is because of UEFA making a hash of the competition for years as well as keeping all lines of power and decisions close to their chest. There sure will be much gnashing of teeth and posturing from UEFA and FIFA, players will have to decide whether to follow the way of 100k-weekly-wages or "fame" for their countries ... though truth be told, I reckon that money will talk and sooner or later, the "ESL" will talk to UEFA and FIFA and they will reach some amiable agreement.

This European Super League (ESL) seems to be a replacement for the CL, for these elite sides. They still plan to remain in their domestic leagues.

How would that affect the CL in terms of competition and appeal if you take those sides out of it? I reckon it's better, with more closely cintested games - although with Bayern and PSG still there it'll be between those two for the foreseeable.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Just heard a lot of condemnation from left right and centre before I actually heard a word of what they are actually planning to do.

Essentially their own European competition without "the dross" from all over Europe, so the big clubs with the best players can sling it out amongst themselves. Not too dissimilar to the reasons why the first "SPL" was once created, or, indeed, the EPL. Provide a quality product for "quality audience" and let the rest do whatever they want to do. It makes you wonder that it took them from the early 90s and the first Champions League (back in the day, when it was just about real title winners) to this year. IMHO, much of what happens now is because of UEFA making a hash of the competition for years as well as keeping all lines of power and decisions close to their chest. There sure will be much gnashing of teeth and posturing from UEFA and FIFA, players will have to decide whether to follow the way of 100k-weekly-wages or "fame" for their countries ... though truth be told, I reckon that money will talk and sooner or later, the "ESL" will talk to UEFA and FIFA and they will reach some amiable agreement.

Big difference dB is that it would effectively be a closed shop; with the EPL and SPL there is a pyramid system, so that Rangers for instance were able to progress up through the leagues. They will make it impossible to access the super league unless you bring untold riches with you.

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

This European Super League (ESL) seems to be a replacement for the CL, for these elite sides. They still plan to remain in their domestic leagues.

How would that affect the CL in terms of competition and appeal if you take those sides out of it? I reckon it's better, with more closely cintested games - although with Bayern and PSG still there it'll be between those two for the foreseeable.

Rangers have a tough enough task qualifying for next season's CL group stage as it is. Any new structure would place any chance we have of competing at the highest level out of reach. Cannot see how any Rangers fan would welcome this.

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

There's supposedly 5 places open in this ESL for new sides, but it's not clear how they qualify - CL winners, Europa League winners?

You'd have to assume qualification would be on the basis of revenue potential.

6 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Rangers have a tough enough task qualifying for next season's CL group stage as it is. Any new structure would place any chance we have of competing at the highest level out of reach. Cannot see how any Rangers fan would welcome this.

If these ESL sides are taken out of the CL, surely we have a better chance?

I'm not for the ESL, per se; I'm just trying to cut through the politics and posturing. 

I really don't see a big difference between the ESL and what the CL is now, or what the PL or SPL did -- other than the so-called 'closed' nature of it (and it's not closed completely as it has been portrayed).