European Super League | All six PL teams withdraw from ESL

All's well that ends well, then.....

Botched breakaway to European Super League costs ‘big six’ clubs millions

Martyn Ziegler, Matt Lawton

Tuesday June 08 2021, 10.30pm, The Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/botched-breakaway-to-european-super-league-costs-big-six-clubs-millions-9ndxb09nr

The Premier League is close to agreeing a settlement with the European Super League rebels that would mean the “big six” clubs paying out millions of pounds for their part in the failed breakaway.

The six — the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur — have not faced formal disciplinary charges from the Premier League, as efforts have focused instead on striking a similar peace deal to Uefa’s settlement with the English clubs, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan.

Although some of the other 14 Premier League clubs had wanted harsher sanctions for the breakaway attempt, including points deductions, league chiefs are understood to have proposed a financial settlement.

A bone of contention has been over whether all of the money should go to good causes or some should be distributed among the other 14 clubs. Following heated talks, it appears an agreement is close and may even be finalised before tomorrow’s annual meeting.

The Premier League is believed to have taken the view that a settlement agreement would be much quicker than opening a formal disciplinary process, and less divisive in the long term. The league is also planning changes to its constitution to block any similar breakaway attempt.

The Uefa sanctions led to the American owners of Liverpool, United and Arsenal paying up to £7 million from their own pockets. Fenway Sports Group, the Glazers and Kroenke Sports and Entertainment said they would cover the financial hit arising from the failed coup rather than using club revenues. Nine of the 12 sides who sought to start the breakaway league accepted measures which included the withholding of 5 per cent of the revenues they would receive from Uefa club competitions for one season — worth between £3.5 million and £5.5 million.

In addition, the nine clubs agreed to donate a combined £13 million to Uefa which will be used for the benefit of children, youth and grassroots football in local communities across Europe, including the UK, and to have fines of € 100 million (about £86m) imposed if they seek to play in such an unauthorised competition again.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus, who have refused to pull out of the ESL scheme, are facing possible bans from European competition after being charged by Uefa.

• 1 year later...

Here it comes again!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12806616/european-super-league-fresh-plans-for-80-team-competition-announced-by-chief-executive-bernd-reichart

Surely we'd make the cut for the top 80? (Although, no doubt 99% of the revenue would be earmarked for the original elite clubs).

I'm justifiably hypocritical about this: I think the clubs behind it are unsporting, money grabbing, soulless, corporations for being prepared to shaft their national leagues in a purely dosh-motivated stitch-up. However, I'd be happy to shaft our national league for a few bob.

On 09/02/2023 at 11:57, Thinker said:

Here it comes again!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12806616/european-super-league-fresh-plans-for-80-team-competition-announced-by-chief-executive-bernd-reichart

Surely we'd make the cut for the top 80? (Although, no doubt 99% of the revenue would be earmarked for the original elite clubs).

I'm justifiably hypocritical about this: I think the clubs behind it are unsporting, money grabbing, soulless, corporations for being prepared to shaft their national leagues in a purely dosh-motivated stitch-up. However, I'd be happy to shaft our national league for a few bob.

Interesting that La Liga comment as R Madrid and Barca are still holding onto the original ESL along with Juve, no correlation between them holding out and the massive debt the three of them have.

80 clubs would effectively take up to 10 clubs from each major European league and on a reducing scale from the others. This would be much more serious a threat, but still cannot see it happening and will i'm sure end up in a court somewhere?

I never really understood the problem with simply resigning from your domestic league and setting off to join a league that isn't affiliated in any way with the EPL or UEFA. 

Is it because these top clubs wanted to retain some kind of presence in their respective domestic setups that they are open to being punished? If so, why don't they just leave completely .... they can then market their own product and the money will follow them regardless.