Gerrard and the European Super League

14 hours ago, ian1964 said:

I know it's the Sun but I'd love to see this. What seemed to be a dead duck just a short while back may now be a realistic possibility. I'm sure all Rangers fans would want the chance to play at a higher level, even if it means missing out European football for a while.

17 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Nope, not for this Bear, the EPL leaves me cold, the idea is no better than that ESL nonsense.

I sort of know what you mean but then I wonder which fixture would be more attractive, Livingston v Rangers on the plastic macaroni or Aston Villa v Rangers at Villa Park?

But wait, I say to myself. Livingston and the Villa are not good comparisons. Swap Villa for Hearts and Southampton for Livingston and I might say stay where we are. On the other hand Everton, Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves. Hmmmm.

Not for me either. We are a Scottish club that belongs in the Scottish league. While I would love it to be more competitive, less corrupt, less samey, it is where we belong. 

A freezing cold winters night at Livingston is far more appealing than a freezing cold winters night at Southampton, purely from a travelling fans perspective.

I could back the idea of a British League or cross border cup competitions if I thought it would make Rangers a significantly better club to support and the business of being a Rangers supporter a more enjoyable experience. But as appealing as the idea of stepping up to a "bigger" arena might seem at first glance, I honestly can't think of anything we would gain from it.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I've always been in favour of us moving.

Last season Norwich City, finishing bottom of the league--by some distance--had revenues of £119.3 million. 

Rangers, £59 million (?).

Would be interesting to see how we would do against Norwich in a competitive match 

this is a strange one for me.

Heart says nope we are a Scottish team we should play in Scotland its a crap league but it is what it is. We get are chances at the champions league (hopefully that continues) and Europa League.

Head says only way we will realistically grow and attract best players is to get into a league which has that possibility so moving makes the most sense.  But then does that make me as bad as the clubs that wanted the ESL??

Have to admit, I've never fancied Rangers leaving Scottish football for any other league (be it a British, Atlantic or European one). Yes, we should always look for ways to improve our profile but I'd much prefer that was via merited qualification for external competitions.

I see Rangers as primarily a Scottish club and, as the most successful club in our country, I feel we have an responsibility to lead the way for other clubs right through the SPFL. Perhaps the events of 2012 changed that outlook for many but I personally retain it.