Gerrard and the European Super League

13 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Not for me either. We are a Scottish club that belongs in the Scottish league. While I would love it to be more competitive, less corrupt, less samey, it is where we belong. 

A freezing cold winters night at Livingston is far more appealing than a freezing cold winters night at Southampton, purely from a travelling fans perspective.

A game against any of the EPL is more appealing than watching Rangers play Livingston on a plastic pitch.

I can understand that you want us to remain in Scotland because it means travelling shorter distances and that you can attend all the away games, whereas that wouldn't be possible, or a lot more difficult, if we were playing against English teams each week. However as someone who no longer attends away games every week it's just not an issue for me, and I'd prefer that we challenge ourselves at the highest level possible. In addition, the games would be a lot more attractive generally and there would be a greater level of satisfaction about getting a result each week.

People think that because our income would increase dramatically that's no sign of guaranteed success just look at the amounts spent by the top ten English clubs and you will see that money isn't always the answer. 

And how long would the fans put up with following the team if they were as we say in the bookmaking ring also_rans

It's not about the away game distances for me, and although I agree that away games at the likes of Livingston or Hamilton aren't the most enthralling, when you look that the bigger picture it's not worth it.

There is nothing better than a big European night at Ibrox, especially if it's an English team, it's magical. One of the things that makes it is the fact it rarely happens, if it was every week, then in my opinion it would be shite. Ask Man City or United fans what makes them excited now? it's just become too familiar, the only thing that is exciting for lots of English fans now is the transfer window.

I love christmas, but F having it every week.

28 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

as someone who no longer attends away games every week it's just not an issue for me,

Me neither but as I have posted the increase ,which would be inevitable,in season ticket prices would drive me away and I would become an armchair fan.

Therefore such a move no thanks.

11 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Me neither but as I have posted the increase ,which would be inevitable,in season ticket prices would drive me away and I would become an armchair fan.

Therefore such a move no thanks.

Our cheapest standard season ticket seems to be £482. There were 9 EPL clubs in 19/20 who had cheaper season tickets, so I don't see why there should be a significant increase in season ticket prices.

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Our cheapest standard season ticket seems to be £482. There were 9 EPL clubs in 19/20 who had cheaper season tickets, so I don't see why there should be a significant increase in season ticket prices.

Fair enough but I expect the costs of the team traveling to further away destinations would escalate steeply and would have to be met in some way and only see it through a rise in ST's.

It won't be as cheap to travel to London compared to say Aberdeen,IMO.

11 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Fair enough but I expect the costs of the team traveling to further away destinations would escalate steeply and would have to be met in some way and only see it through a rise in ST's.

It won't be as cheap to travel to London compared to say Aberdeen,IMO.

Maybe the £100m+ increase in TV revenue would help? :D

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

Have to admit, I've never fancied Rangers leaving Scottish football for any other league (be it a British, Atlantic or European one). Yes, we should always look for ways to improve our profile but I'd much prefer that was via merited qualification for external competitions.

I see Rangers as primarily a Scottish club and, as the most successful club in our country, I feel we have an responsibility to lead the way for other clubs right through the SPFL. Perhaps the events of 2012 changed that outlook for many but I personally retain it.

The levels of population in Scotland means that the big two will always dominate. If Hearts or Hibs,say, could mount a more consistent challenge then our league would be more competitive and in turn raise our standard of performance. I get the point about travelling to away games and the loss of Euro games but the novelty of seeing even Norwich or Watford as opponents would for me counteract the negatives.