Gerrard and the European Super League

1 hour ago, compo said:

People think that because our income would increase dramatically that's no sign of guaranteed success just look at the amounts spent by the top ten English clubs and you will see that money isn't always the answer. 

And how long would the fans put up with following the team if they were as we say in the bookmaking ring also_rans

I'd agree with your first sentence.

People have expressed their valid reasons for being against the move but we should be not against it because we may not be successful. It's all about the challenge and surely Rangers as an institution shouldn't be scared of a move which results in success being more difficult.

"inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

A game against any of the EPL is more appealing than watching Rangers play Livingston on a plastic pitch.

I can understand that you want us to remain in Scotland because it means travelling shorter distances and that you can attend all the away games, whereas that wouldn't be possible, or a lot more difficult, if we were playing against English teams each week. However as someone who no longer attends away games every week it's just not an issue for me, and I'd prefer that we challenge ourselves at the highest level possible. In addition, the games would be a lot more attractive generally and there would be a greater level of satisfaction about getting a result each week.

I get that entirely mate, and I think I am seeing quite a split down the lines of those fans who still travel to away games, go on supporters buses to away games etc, being less in favour of something like this, for fiarly selfish reaosns like myself! 

For a home games only supporter, I can see the attraction of playing the bigger English teams, and the away games dont affect this as they dont go to them so watching a game from livingston or Birmingham is the same thing. But I see no more attraction playing Villa, or Southampton, or West Brom at Ibrox than Hamilton, Livvy etc. These may be more exciting for a year or two, and certainly would bring bigger away supports than the Scottish clubs, but these games are no less mundane affairs than the current crop of fixtures IMO. 

A good discussion point, but I cannot see it happening in my lifetime no matter what we think. This recent ESL debacle has shown where the big English clubs are looking, and it is not north!

29 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I get that entirely mate, and I think I am seeing quite a split down the lines of those fans who still travel to away games, go on supporters buses to away games etc, being less in favour of something like this, for fiarly selfish reaosns like myself! 

And I can understand that. When you go to the away games, you want to go to them all and it's like an addiction.

I agree that's not going to happen. If it was, it would have been in the 90s when Sky had the power, but they don't have that any more and the English clubs themselves aren't going to agree to it.

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I've always been in favour of us moving.

Last season Norwich City, finishing bottom of the league--by some distance--had revenues of £119.3 million. 

Rangers, £59 million (?).

Money shouldn't be the motivating factor for moving, we're a football club not a merchant bank. Real Madrid's revenue this season is estimated at over 600 million Euros yet the club's a financial basket case, football should never be measured by money. Norwich might well have revenues double ours, but it didn't stop them being relegated. 

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Money shouldn't be the motivating factor for moving, we're a football club not a merchant bank. Real Madrid's revenue this season is estimated at over 600 million Euros yet the club's a financial basket case, football should never be measured by money. Norwich might well have revenues double ours, but it didn't stop them being relegated. 

Being badly run has nothing to do with the amount of money a team possesses. 

To progress, teams need investment. We're never going to move on from where we are now without it.

Getting into the group stages of the CL is pretty much the extent of it now--and that's a superb season. It's still nowhere near the elite. 

(I'm intrigued to see how Queen's Park get on now, after ending their amateur status. I think they're a well-run club, but without investment they've not moved from the bottom tier. With investment, I expect them to move up the leagues.)

I applaud the 'entertainment' post - I agree with the sentiment. I'm just of the opinion that investment is needed to progress, which is what I want to see. If we're well-run, can utilise our fan base and stature, and be provided with the investment that some PL sides receive, we can move up in the world, so to speak. 

As important as healthy finances are to our security and development and as important as entertaining football is to our match day enjoyment, there is another factor that has always been more important and it's what has always sustained us through periods when no trophies were won and even financial ruin.

I'm not sure what the best name is for it but it's essentially what you feel walking to the stadium and when sitting at Ibrox waiting for the teams to appear. I know it has something to do with belonging and sharing and a sense of pride at who we are and all who went before to make that 150 years of continuity. Someone once summed it up as "we are the people". I know it has almost nothing to do with the size of the club's income or how much we spend on players or what league we play in. Winning is better than losing of course but, win or lose, rich or poor, it seems to me there's always something more. Do Norwich or Southampton fans feel better than we do about our club because they play in the EPL and bank squillions every year? I doubt it. As a portly commentator keeps saying, it's all about The Rangers.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Being badly run has nothing to do with the amount of money a team possesses. 

To progress, teams need investment. We're never going to move on from where we are now without it.

Getting into the group stages of the CL is pretty much the extent of it now--and that's a superb season. It's still nowhere near the elite. 

(I'm intrigued to see how Queen's Park get on now, after ending their amateur status. I think they're a well-run club, but without investment they've not moved from the bottom tier. With investment, I expect them to move up the leagues.)

I applaud the 'entertainment' post - I agree with the sentiment. I'm just of the opinion that investment is needed to progress, which is what I want to see. If we're well-run, can utilise our fan base and stature, and be provided with the investment that some PL sides receive, we can move up in the world, so to speak. 

I get all of that except the bit at the centre. What is "progress" and exactly how does it make us "better". What's our objective - to win the CL six times in a row ... or once ... or just to qualify for CL group stages ... or to with the SPFL title ... or just to avoid a repetition of the last ten years? Is it to have a better stadium, or to play better opposition or play in a more prestigious league? How do we measure progress? If progress means getting £120m in TV money every year but to succeed on the park we still have to run at a loss and lifelong fans are priced out of watching their team ... is that still progress?