[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 1 Rangers (Wright 55)

6 hours ago, craig said:

LOL.  Barisic, Goldson, Tavernier, Davis, Kamara - 2nd string

Hagi, Roofe - 2nd string ?

The only true second string players we used from the start were McLaughlin, Simpson, Itten and maybe, Wright. 

Why must you bully me like this? :D 

On Rangers TV Andy Little suggested that Simpson and Itten (in the second half) had a good game.  I thought Itten was fine in the second half but I was not convinced about Simpson who looked a bit awkward and flat footed.  Although a bit early early on the basis of one full game to conclude whether he will be successful at Rangers I think he has quite a bit to go before he challenges Helander.  Overall, it was a very poor performance by Rangers with little cohesion, not enough hunting down in packs and difficulty in dealing creatively with the situation when they pressed our back four.

I'd need to watch it again but I remember thinking at the time that Simpson showed a lot of composure and a very impressive turn of speed. You always keep a close eye on new signings and I thought he did quite well for a first start. What I especially liked was his ability to pass the ball forward. Looks like a decent sighting but with his experience you'd be surprised if he wasn't. The problem last night wasn't occasional starters Itten or Simpson, it was disappointing performances from some established players such as Kamara, Barisic, Tavernier. These things happen but if it happens again on Sunday then we could have a very flat end to the season.

It was an end of season dead rubber, and it played out that way. Very similar to the celtic (league) and hibs games. We do enough not to lose to maintain our unbeaten league record, but are very flat for most of the game, with some flashes of our old selves in wee spells throughout the game.

It has been ever thus. In our 9IAR campaign, we had a few seasons where the league was wrapped up early and some really poor games come along to finish. 1994 was a case in point. From memory a 15 point lead (2 points a win I think as well?) meant we had the league wrapped up quick style, and we had a number of dead rubbers before the Scottish Cup Final against a bang average Dundee United who had never won the cup up until then, and we were going to back to back trebles. Our weeks of dead rubber performances took its toll and we didnt show up for the final and lost. That one hurt enormously.

I can only hope that we do not suffer the same consequences in 2021.